• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery Cable location

New beam

Donation Time
It seems the car I recently purchased does not have a negative battery cable
Where is the attachment point for it
Thanks again folks!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
IF you have a SV the ground is into the battery box from the negative side of the battery.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting how we read questions and get different interpretations. The way I read your question, the answer is "Bolt it onto the transmission".

Bill

britbits

Donation Time
Battery ground Cable

Thanks for the help
I have a Series 5 with no ground cable that goes to the battery
So would it attach to the battery box or to the trans?
I hope that clarifies a bit better

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
The negative battery cable is quite short and is bolted to the battery box itself. ...Per DanR... The engine needs to be grounded to the body of the car with a heavy cable bridging the rubber transmission mount......Per Bill Blue.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The negative battery cable bolts to the box, about 1/3 from the top of the box. See photos.

As to grounding the engine, you should have a braided cable in the engine bay that goes from the firewall to the engine (or one of the bolts connecting the bell housing to the engine block).

Mike

Attachments

• 20140225-001 battery box.jpg
    20140225-001 battery box.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 50
  • negative battery cable bolt.jpg
    negative battery cable bolt.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 47

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
As to grounding the engine, you should have a braided cable in the engine bay that goes from the firewall to the engine (or one of the bolts connecting the bell housing to the engine block).

Looking more closely at my car's setup, I think my engine ground cable connection points are not standard. I need to re-route it. However, I've seen a photo of a mostly stock series V engine bay where one end of the engine ground cable appears to connect at a bolt connecting the bell housing to the engine block.

Mike

Attachments

• engine ground connection.jpg
    engine ground connection.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40

pcmenten

Donation Time
I have run into starting trouble in cars like my 79 MGB. It is another Brit car that runs its ground to the side of the battery box. The battery box gets exposed to sulfuric acid from the battery and the connection between the ground strap and the body gets fouled. Similar situation with a 54 F100.

I get best results by using a larger-than-original ground strap and run it to the bellhousing near the starter. I make sure there is a good grounding strap between the engine and the firewall, and in the case of the F100, the engine and the frame. I had good cranking speed and bright lights with a 6V system on the F100.