• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Axle shaft re-engagement

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm having a significant emotional event. The right axle shaft will not re-engage with the differential. Tech manual says to gently push the shaft to re-engage and firmly tighten the nuts and bolts of the dust cover, but we're way beyond that now. The left side went in without problem. Tell me what I have missed, because the harder I hammer, the more damage I cause. (Yes, I checked the search function but couldn't refine my terms to exclude chaff). Thanks in advance.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Is it hung at the axle spline or at the bearing entering the axle tube?

Both can hang it up.

Also...

It may go without saying but there are several axle splines that have been used and if you just put in a new third member or changed the spider gears, the axle may not have the correct splines for its mate.

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, gents. It's the same differential that's been there for 44 years - just new, harder bolts for the ring. I wiped down the axle shaft and didn't notice anything obvious concerning the splines but will take a second, closer look. Good suggestions. The bearing isn't hanging up because I try to keep it elevated as I motivate the shaft inward. The takeaway here is that there should be nothing unusual about installing the second axle shaft.

65beam

Donation Time
axle

if it's a series 5, put some oil on the rubber o ring around the bearing or oil up the axle housing. i have had them hang up simply because the o ring seal is dry and won't push in or rolls off to to no lubrication.

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
To close the circle, the axle shaft just now slipped into place. I'm left to guessing what problem I encountered. It might have been repeated ridge on ridge contact (and partial engagement) leading me to believe there was an actual blockage at the differential. One more attempt after a cooling-off period did the trick. Thanks for suggestions all of which I considered &/or tried.