• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Awesome 1961 Sunbeam Rapier

John Boggis

Donation Time
Tony Perrett here in the UK sent me some pictures of his Alpine which is a very impressive series IV auto. What he also sent me were some pictures of his 1961 Sunbeam Rapier which is a truly awesome car. Here are a few pics of this great Sunbeam.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
That's a beauty ! Never seen one in person. How's the ride, and handling?
Tony do you regulary drive her?

Tom j

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom, The ride is OK (by 1961 standards) but because the car runs on the original size skinny 5.60 X 15 crossply tyres the road-holding leaves a lot to be desired. The tyres are Commander and were imported from US. Years ago I had a Series 2 convertible and a Series 3A saloon and both were on radial tyres and the handling of those cars was dramatically better. The mileage over the last year is about 200, due largely to our less than perfect weather. I really must try harder. As a matter of interest, the styling is supposedly based on the Studebaker Hawk. Tony.