• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aviation Industry question

mackzknife

Donation Time
I have noticed a trend on here, (I hope I am correct on this) that a lot of members on here are, or have been commercial pilots.

I am considering a career change and have always been very interested in aircraft.
Is this a really bad time to start training for a career as a commercial pilot?, I am thinking rotary and live on the West Coast of Canada where there is a fair bit of heli-logging and camp support by helicopter.

Opinions or advice welcome.

TIA

Mack

skywords

Donation Time
Hello Mack
I would only advise such a bold move if you have a GI bill / vet benefit from military service that would pay for such training. Last instruction I had in a helo was $250.00 US an hour and that was in a little piston powered machine, they will want to see turbine experience. Turbine helo will cost $600.00 and up per hour. Even if you did get your ratings you will be competing against ex military pilots with thousands of hours of flight time. There comes a time every so often when there is a shortage of pilots and only then will companies drop their minimums for hiring. It is a hell of a gamble and should only be started by young men and women because of the calender time it takes to accrue such experience. I won't say no but your odds of becoming a well paid zipper suited sun god are slim.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, your reply reminds me of a young guy I worked with several years ago. He desperately wanted to fly an airliner, would fly for almost nothing in order to get the hours up. The last I saw him, he said he was "flying a truck", and seemed disappointed. I really don't see the difference in flying a truck and flying a bus.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Rick, your reply reminds me of a young guy I worked with several years ago. He desperately wanted to fly an airliner, would fly for almost nothing in order to get the hours up. The last I saw him, he said he was "flying a truck", and seemed disappointed. I really don't see the difference in flying a truck and flying a bus.

Bill

I would put it on a par with being a musician. Years of work and practice and only a select few get to reap the rewards. More to do with luck than ability. Many brilliant pilots and musicians starving.

A friend of my family who is now deceased was retired from Western Airlines. I never met a man more in love with flying than him, he bid every trip he could just to be in the air. His favorite airplane was the one he was flying that day. When he retired with a good income he did not live in a fancy house instead he lived in an old mobile home on the airport and he had the Taj Majhal for a hanger full of lovely antique aircraft that he constantly worked on and flew, till one-day at dinner he told the girl friend "we should open that expensive bottle of wine that we have been saving". A few hours later he was gone. Lived well into his eighties.

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
Be Careful

Hi Mack,

I currently work for a helicopter EMS outfit out of S. Missouri. We're constantly looking for qualified pilots. That being said, If you don't have turbine time we're not interested.

I looked into the heli career about 2 years ago after being laid off from one of the major airlines after 15 yrs service. If you decide to go into this be sure to do your research on the flight training org you plan to do your training through. There's some shady operators out there who will promise you everything, take your money, then provide you nothing they've promised.

I've been doing aviation for 25 years (pilot and A&P mechanic) and unless you're still in your mid 20's a heli career on your own might be better left a dream.

If you want a stable career in aviation, consider your mechanic license. Tons of jobs available and the pay is considerably above average in most markets.

Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you have any other questions.

BRZDAD67