• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Attaching aftermarket seats

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought a seat that I eventually want to put in the SIV and have been trying to figure out the best way to install it. It came with an installation kit, but after studying the seat and the mechanism that it seems to me that the easiest thing to do is to remove the two tabs on the front of the sliders, attach a steel bar across the two sliders and attach the new seat to the steel bar. Does that make sense? If not, those of you that aren't using original seats, how did you install them?

Thanks.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,
I built a tube frame that bolted to the seat structure and lined up with the Alpine slider brackets.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Before I got some custom-made seat bases from a member here, I was looking at this one. Looks like it could fit, given the ridge that goes across the floor between the back of the seat bases and the front. My car had the floor plans replaced when I got it but had no seat bases.

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_acc.asp?id=154

AlpineII

Donation Time
I installed Recarro racing style seats so I could use a three point seat belt system. In order to get the seats in I welded 1/8" metal plates to the original Alpine seat rails (I have several sets of extras) and drilled holes for the new seats.

Before you buy seats be aware of seat height and width. This is one area that can cause big problems getting your knees under the steering wheel.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Roger that..

Jim,

I put Pantera seats in mine and unless your my height, you'll have issues. I'll try to get pictures of mine and send them to you. Pick your seats carefully. I wanted head restraints in mine and they look great but since the seat mounts on the Sunbeam go inside the seats and the Pantera has a pan, I sit about 3 inches higher now.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am using Datsun 240z seats, I cut the headrest off and welded on the tops from the Sunbeam seats. I just built adapters to go from the seats to the stock seat rails. I can take a picture of the adapter if you like.
170545596-M.jpg

skywords

Donation Time
I am using Datsun 240z seats, I cut the headrest off and welded on the tops from the Sunbeam seats. I just built adapters to go from the seats to the stock seat rails. I can take a picture of the adapter if you like.

SWEEEEET Those look like they belong there.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't tell me you are using a 1/4" seat bolt to anchor the seatbelt. Is that forward location a good idea? I thought they were placed back in an awkward location for a safety reason.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. Those look great. It looks like you also modified the stock bracket. Is that correct?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Don't tell me you are using a 1/4" seat bolt to anchor the seatbelt. Is that forward location a good idea? I thought they were placed back in an awkward location for a safety reason.

Bill

No, it's an illusion. Mine is a Ser II those are the centering pins you see.

Thanks. Those look great. It looks like you also modified the stock bracket. Is that correct?

My seat rails are stock ser II. I set it up like this so my seats still hinge up. I believe its a similar set up on the newer ser.