• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone know about this Fiberglass Series III - IV - V hardtop

Fergusonic

Donation Time
I bought one for my SV. It was of good quality with the exception of one thing: Driver's side vertical window brace was about 3/4" shorter than the Driver's side causing it to "hike up" on the passenger side. I wound up cutting the brace, lengthening it, and installing a new plexiglass side window.
The unit does not have rear attachment hardware supplied; Purchaser is left with using stock hardware rear "bullet / bracket" hardware which are hard to find and expensive or........ being creative.
The supplied rubber seals are sufficient to seal around the rear, front, and windows.
One must use caution when cleaning the rear window as it is plexiglass and , of course, will scratch easily.
The ride is much quieter with the hardtop vs canvas.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This is one fitted on an Alpine we owned a few years ago. It was not as good as a well sorted original hard top but it did a reasonable job and was better than a soft top in the winter.

Tim R

Attachments

• Hard Top 002.jpg
    Hard Top 002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 46
  • Hard Top 004.jpg
    Hard Top 004.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Hard Top 006.jpg
    Hard Top 006.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 46

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Back in high school, when my Alpine was new to me, I bought a Dynoplastic (?) fiberglass hardtop from a pilot who used to have a Tiger. I think I paid $75. It didn't have the rear quarter windows. The front and rear clips were basically L brackets with J bolts in them. Years later, when I had money and restored my Alpine, I bought a decent factory steel hardtop and restored it to match perfectly, all new rubber, all new windows and all correct brackets. I finally ditched that silly $75 top.

Then I came to realize how great that Dynoplastic one was. Glass rear window and sooooo light. Easy to put on and off by myself. Easy to hang up on the wall. Quick to put on and off if the need arose.

And now instead I have a supremely heavy hardtop with plastic rear window, that I can still put on and off myself - but with quite a heft to get it up and off. In fact, I think I've done it only once or twice since restoring it. Of course that's mostly because I greatly prefer top down driving and don't drive it in the rain.

I also picked up a prior factory hard top that had a "little rust." Wow, that was a mess. Really hard to get it fixed well.

So, if this new top is able to fit and be generally water tight, unless you want a concours car you never drive, I'd strongly suggest going this route.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I appreciate the sharing Jay. The owner has already ordered the top. I provided him original rear bullet/latches.

I agree about the on/off process. The top is heavy. My recollection of the SUNI IV Autocross was wanting to remove the top to lighten my Series III. My first meeting with Rick from SS came about as he asked, "can I give you a hand." Instant friendship! With the top off, excellent running engine and the close ratio trans it all made this amateur look good. Lots of fun.