• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another wiring question

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series V mostly stock

i have been looking at a wiring diagram for my car and would like to pose another question that comes from my ignorance.
There has been discussion about relays and additional fuses — etc, and I was wondering what would happen if I simply connected the lighting circuit ( red wire) to an empty tab ( a number exist) on my existing fuse block positions 1/2 auxiliary circuits or 3/4 for that matter?

Thanks for indulging not only this question but the many others I have asked and will ask in the future.
Andrew

Acollin

Donation Time
Almost 100 views and no advice or information.
Did I ask a dumb question?

be well all
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The stock setup is the headlights + running lights are connected to terminal 1 on the fuse block. The circuit is always hot and not fused. If there is a short, some wire will probably become a fuse and melt.
upload_2022-12-31_15-25-28.png

Moving the circuit from terminal 1 to terminal 2 would result in a circuit that is always hot, but now has a fuse. That would be an upgrade from the stock configuration. Ensure the fuse is rated to handle the normal current of the headlights and running lights and whatever else is on the circuit. On my SV, the cigar lighter receives its power from the headlight switch. That might not be stock though. So that would be another consideration when calculating the fuse rating. I will probably move the cigar lighter to its own separate circuit.

If you move the lighting circuit to terminal 3, then the lights become fed from the ignition switch. The lights are still not fused, but will only be on when the ignition is on. You now have the odd behavior of lights only working when the ignition is on, there is no fuse still, and you don't really want to add more current to the ignition circuit.

If you move the lighting circuit to terminal 4, then it is basically the same cons as terminal 3 above, but you have added the fuse. I think you are adding too much load to the ignition circuit, and the existing stock fuse will likely now be undersized.

Mike

Acollin

Donation Time
Hey Mike

While this first question may be sunbeam electronics 101, but how is a wire connect to a spade on the fuse box not fused?

Q2: Are you saying that moving the lighting circuit from spade 1 to 2 is a good thing to do and would that be only the simple matter of moving green wires to the other side of the fuse block? Any clues as to why the factory chose not to do this originally?
Q3: If above is true , what size fuse would you recommend?

I have to say that while the wiring of these cars is not magical it is mysterious to me.
Thanks
Andrew

Acollin

Donation Time
In reconsidering my questions/thinking and after consulting the wiring diagram, I am even more confused. I hope I am not going beyond your guidance tolerance, but For Me, I need to take a few steps back.
Q1 What color wire feeds the lighting circuit?

If this is more than you want to do— just say “last call”.
Thanks again
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew,

The brown wire identified by the blue arrow is supplying current to the lighting circuit. The red wire out of the lighting switch supplies the running/parking lamps and the blue wire supplies the headlamps (both low beam and high beam).

All of those brown wires connected to terminal 1 of the fuse block are just making a connection to each either at that terminal.

The fuses go between terminal 1 & 2 and then between terminal 3 & 4.
The purple wire shown at terminal 2 is for GT cars with extra lighting. The purple wire is absent on ST models.

Mike

upload_2023-1-2_11-14-27.png

Acollin

Donation Time
Hey Mike

Q1 So just switch the one brown wire ( with blue arrow that goes to lighting switch) to position 2 on the fuse block to achieve the “upgrade” to a fused lighting circuit?
Q2 Is terminal 1 not fused because it sits before rather than after fuse given the direction of the flow of electricity from the battery (through brown wire)? Is it correct to say -Brown wire power comes to the block but not through the fuse block? And is it also correct to say— all the other three positions (2,3,4) are fused because the engage the power source after it passes through the fuse that connects positions 1 and 2 on the fuse block and that no brown wires are fused?

Q3 Am I making any progress in understanding?

How am I doing?
Thanks for the all the help
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think there is some good background here: https://www.easycarelectrics.com/how-car-electrical-system-works/

Q1 - yes, but given your current understanding of car electrical wiring I would not recommend you make any changes to the wiring by yourself. Maybe have a more knowledgeable friend help you if you want to make any changes.
Q2 - the fuse between terminal 1 & 2 is not relevant for all those brown wires connected to terminal 1. You could yank the fuse between terminal 1 & 2 and it has zero effect on those brown wires. In a stock series V ST model, only the green wires connected to terminal 4 are fused. The white ignition wires connected to terminal 3 are not fused.

Mike

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Like most 1960s cars the wiring in an Alpine is basic to say the least. Two fuses for all the various circuits is asking for trouble, especially now the wires are 50+ years old. We always re-wire our Alpines as negative ground with a more modern style of wiring, adding relays and thicker wires for lights and horns. We have three fuse boxes in each car and separate (illuminating) fuses for each circuit.
If anyone would like me to send them a PDF of what we do I am more than happy to do so. It is not standard but makes things a lot safer.

Tim R

aservfortom2

Donation Time
Like most 1960s cars the wiring in an Alpine is basic to say the least. Two fuses for all the various circuits is asking for trouble, especially now the wires are 50+ years old. We always re-wire our Alpines as negative ground with a more modern style of wiring, adding relays and thicker wires for lights and horns. We have three fuse boxes in each car and separate (illuminating) fuses for each circuit.
If anyone would like me to send them a PDF of what we do I am more than happy to do so. It is not standard but makes things a lot safer.

Tim R
Tim I would appreciate you forwarding me the PDF of your wiring system. I am switching over to a modern fuse block setup and would like to see how you approached it.Thanks Tom K(aservfortom2)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom, I've sent you the PDF in a message. If that doesn't work message me your email nd I'll send it to you.
Tim R

Mag0152

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tim R
I have made some changes and would appreciate checking it against you pdf. Could you send me a copy please.
Thanks

aservfortom2

Donation Time
Tom, I've sent you the PDF in a message. If that doesn't work message me your email nd I'll send it to you.
Tim R
Sorry I'm tardy with this thank you. I received the PDF in great form and it cleared up some wiring issues for me and I correctly installed a new modern fuse/LED fuse block in my car.