• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

another solid looking alpine

jmthehermit

Donation Time
ebay # 330146481813 Another solid looking Alpine up for bid, but without bullet holes!!!! For a NY car the lower parts look solid so there might be some truth to the 30 years storage. Here's another hardtop with car attached oppurtunity. cheers, Jeff

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Very early build number too - I'm surprised it still has the original Solex carb.

S

Steve Kirk

This is a car that deserves to be restored. Do I see the original rubber mats on the floor?

RootesRich

Donation Time
Someone help me out here... in the description they write about running the car while holding a can of gas above the motor and it didn't attempt to draw fuel throught the tanks.
I've never heard of this proceedure and what it tests. Anyone?

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
They don't trust the gas tank

Someone help me out here... in the description they write about running the car while holding a can of gas above the motor and it didn't attempt to draw fuel throught the tanks.
I've never heard of this proceedure and what it tests. Anyone?

They probably think that, given where they said it was found, that the tank is full of crap, they didn't want to fool with it so they ran the fuel line to a gas can. I did something stupid like that once too. But only once. My guess only.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I was actually thinking about doing something very similar with my SV parts car. I want to see if the engine runs, but don't want to use the gas that is in the tank or the gas line. I was just thinking about running a hose from the fuel pump (assuming that works, which I know is a big if) to a gas can and drawing the fuel from there. I won't run it for long, but I'd like input re: how dumb an idea this is.

Thanks.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I thought they might be bypassing the fuel tanks to run clean fuel, but it was their comment about it not trying to draw fuel from the rear tanks that threw me off. If they disconnect the line to the tanks, of course it wouldn't try and draw fuel. Maybe I'm still missing something.

Jim, to answer your question with a good run of fuel line and the gas can in a well ventilated area, you should be ok for a short time. Remember to have a fire extinguisher on hand. I've not tried this with an Alpine, but have with various motorcycles when the tank has been well rusted out.

howard

Donation Time
They describe the air cleaner as missing... but what's that sitting on the Solex? I thought that WAS the air cleaner. And is it just the angle of the photograph, or is the MCylinder sitting a bit close to the carb?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, to answer your question with a good run of fuel line and the gas can in a well ventilated area, you should be ok for a short time. Remember to have a fire extinguisher on hand. I've not tried this with an Alpine, but have with various motorcycles when the tank has been well rusted out.
Thanks Rich. I am planning on taking the day off Friday to work on the car and, if the fuel pump seems to be working, I will give it a try...with a fire extinguisher close at hand!