• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another new V6 install

gordonra

Donation Time
I guess I've been a bit tight lipped about this conversion, but it's just because life is exceptionally busy these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nf1uCVdDVo0

I'm really proud of the low price I've been able to find the components too. Maybe I've been really lucky, or maybe just patient.

The Specs:

Jose's kit market value
Headers market value
100% stock 74 mustang engine with less that 10K original miles $250
Transmission is a #238 T5 (94-96 3.8L) $300
Custom driveshaft $280
Radiator had been previously cored. Roded and modified $175
Dodge D-50 fan blade with home made adapter - (used) $ 15
Throttle cable - Mr Gasket $ 20
Throttle cable bracket - Mr Gasket $ 25
Wilwood clutch slave $ 80
Clutch slave linkage - home-made
Custom water pump pulley - home-made
Thermostat housing - home-modified
Throttle/pedal linkage - home-made
Patriot 50" side pipes $200

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rich,

Congratulations! Youve done a great job. It sure sounds good. I can see you driving it to work every day, and wishing the commute were longer, so you could stay in the car longer. I know you´ll enjoy it.

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
Yea Baby Love the sound. No 4 banger ever sounded that good. Welcome to the Darkside Drivers Club.
Dwain V6 krazy

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks everyone... It's been a lot of fun chasing the parts and putting it all together. I've met a couple of great club members along the way too...

Bulldurham: It's a Series V

I've done a couple variations from the norm...

o Water pump pulley is cut down from a Ranger/Bronco and welded into a hub.
o Fan Blade is from a Dodge Ram 50 (D-50) and doesn't require trimming.
o Driveshaft has the slip yoke from a C4, 2.5" tube, and a flange that has the same u-joint size as the C4 - 30" from center of u-joint to flange.
o Flywheel is for a Ranger, clutch is custom (Diameter of the Ranger, with spline of the T5)
o Wilwood clutch slave (0.75" bore)

I've only taken it down the road twice so far. The Patriot side pipes are hanging way too low for my taste, and for the height of the speed bumps in So Cal. so I'm working to gain some clearance.

There is a bit of work to do to get it smoothed out, and have to weld the tunnel. Also need a shift handle...

More work to do, but 'm really glad that the engine and transmission are smooth!

Rich

slo69

Donation Time
Good Job, sounds excellent!!!

Going to be doing the same conversion after I sell my current project, hope to see your car someday.

Jose's kit market value
Headers market value
Custom driveshaft $280
Patriot 50" side pipes $200[/QUOTE]

socorob

Donation Time
Be careful with the Mr Gasket throttle cable. Im on my 3rd one.. well 2nd actually. On the 1st one, the plastic fitting on the end of the cable housing by the carb broke. Replaced it, and the 2nd one cracked there. Then driving home one day, the plastic fitting that connects to the gas pedal broke. It was the day before I was going to an autocross, and the pars store were closed by the time I got around to looking at it, so i used an RG58 cable end I ad in my garage and drilled it out. Its been having that down there since early summer. I picked up a lokar cable where all the pieces are alumnum that are plastic in the chinese mr gasket one, but havent gotten around to putting it on yet. I do drive fairly hard though, so you may not run into the same problem.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hey Rob,

The Mr. Gasket cable is actually a little short for the stock carb because it has to loop around and pull from the front. This makes the bend radius tighter than it should be. A longer cable would be better, but I haven't had time to look for anything else yet.

Rich

Be careful with the Mr Gasket throttle cable. Im on my 3rd one.. well 2nd actually. On the 1st one, the plastic fitting on the end of the cable housing by the carb broke. Replaced it, and the 2nd one cracked there. Then driving home one day, the plastic fitting that connects to the gas pedal broke. It was the day before I was going to an autocross, and the pars store were closed by the time I got around to looking at it, so i used an RG58 cable end I ad in my garage and drilled it out. Its been having that down there since early summer. I picked up a lokar cable where all the pieces are alumnum that are plastic in the chinese mr gasket one, but havent gotten around to putting it on yet. I do drive fairly hard though, so you may not run into the same problem.

gordonra

Donation Time
I'd be happy to show anyone my car, but for all the sweat I've put in, its still got a long way to go! It'll never be as pristine as I'd like, but that doesn't keep the smile from my face while I'm out for a drive.

Where in So CA are you?

I'm in Lake Forest.

Rich

Going to be doing the same conversion after I sell my current project, hope to see your car someday.

Jose's kit market value
Headers market value
Custom driveshaft $280
Patriot 50" side pipes $200
[/QUOTE]

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rich,

Don´t worry that your Alpine isn´t pristine right now. It took me two years to finish restoring my first one, but I sure loved driving it anyway. It actually helped me surprise some guys on the street. They couldn´t believe that something that ugly, could go that fast.:D I enjoyed driving it no matter what it looked like. The performance kept a big smile on my face.

Jose

Yenko

Donation Time
Patriot Side-pipes...

Mine are or I should say,were(Sunbeam he's sold) 2¾ inch from ground...
A little bit too low but streetable...
Congrat for your's...

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Rich,

Don't worry about the outer.... I'd bet the thing runs and drives great. From the driver seat is the best view. Good on you! I look forward to seeing it again next time I come thru LA....:D

slo69

Donation Time
I'd be happy to show anyone my car, but for all the sweat I've put in, its still got a long way to go! It'll never be as pristine as I'd like, but that doesn't keep the smile from my face while I'm out for a drive.

Where in So CA are you?

I'm in Lake Forest.

Rich
[/QUOTE]

I'm in Ontario,not far at all, I just need to talk to V6 Jose about the parts needed for the swap

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
I am in Cypress, got a SII shell in my garage waiting for the V-6 kit. Sounds like we need a So Cal V-6 meet and great in the near future (although I have planned on another 2.5 years before my Alpine is ready).

Garet

kmathis

Donation Time
Hey, a So Cal V6 meet and greet; what a good idea. Garet, seeing a V6 conversion in process (like Rich Gordon's) sure motivates you to get started, gathering parts at least, so you will be ready; it spreads out the cost too.
My conversion is starting in the next couple of weeks; I am over here in Yorba Linda, you guys are all welcome here; or we could meet at Cars & Coffee down in Irvine, something like that.
What do you think, Rich?