• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another Ford Truck Question - F250 Rear Springs

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My daughter has a 1999 F250 that she regularily used to tow a single horse trailer. She is home right now (without the horse) and I noticed that one of the rear leafs springs is broken. The right rear spring is missing half of one leaf (second one from the bottom, for what its worth). It is missing from behind the u-bolts, so the front half is there and presumably doing its job.

I am not going to have time to tackle this myself before she has to return home. I can't see where this is a problem for normal driving, but am concerned about her pulling the trailer until it is fixed. She will soon be home for a more extended visit, but will be bringing the horse with her and it is a 7 hour drive. Should I pay to get this fixed before she heads home?

Thanks.

Fastback

Donation Time
Should I pay to get this fixed before she heads home?

Yes. Period; without question. Get it fixed, if you don't have time to tackle it yourself. Not safe, with or without a trailer. Especially for a "7 hour drive".

Wayne

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I would have it fixed right away, because you don't want to have her driving with a problem that could cause an accident, by having less control on the weak side. It is much cheaper to fix it now, than to repent later.

Jose:)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That's what I expected to hear, but its good to have it confirmed. Thanks Jose and Wayne. We'll get it taken care of tomorrow.

Jim

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Jim, even without thought of loss of control, or further damage to the vehicle, give this a think.
Being in the vehicle FOLLOWING that truck!
My dad had a Blazer back when, and it decided to shed its leaves (luckily only doing 35mph) over the crest of a hill. Those things flew ALL over!
Had that been on a highway with a good case of Chicago traffic, I should think surely someone would have died. If not from a direct throttling of a spring, then at least collateral damage from all trying to avoid it.

Hit the yellow pages (phone book) and find a spring repair. They can probably just replace the broken leaf, and check all else. When we replaced my dads with some boneyard springs I broke (split) 7 craftsman sockets just working the u-bolt nuts off. Thank God for lifetime warranty though! This was of course before I got spoiled with hardened sockets and air tools.

Anyhow, glad to hear your getting it taken care of.
Happy Trails!