• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'And the Fun Begins!'

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan, that's good info about some crate engines. I'm sure their not all quite like the ones you see on the Saturday morning car building shows, and the ones that are most likely cost a bundle.

I think I've got a decent base engine, a pair of decent heads should cure it's problems.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I'm trying to remember where I saw a set of Mutt 2.8 V6 heads minus valves that were for sale that had been verified as good.

Seems as if it was on Craigs or maybe E-bay about a month ago. No takers as I recall..... I was sure tempted to get-em .... I'll keep trying to jog my brain cells;)

Last edited:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Mike

I have at least 3 sets of heads in my storage rooms in Phoenix. I'll be home in a few weeks. If I can locate them I can leave them with someone and the next time you're near Phoenix....

conanhomer

Donation Time
good price for heads

guys: i got my heads from cylinderhead.com they were magna inspected and fully rebuilt for $175 per head exchange.i'm really happy with them.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
guys: i got my heads from cylinderhead.com they were magna inspected and fully rebuilt for $175 per head exchange.i'm really happy with them.

Thanks, good to know.

As always, forum member Kelly (kmathis) has come to the rescue and offered me a set of heads. I'll have the cleaned up, Maganafluxed, checked for warping and a valve job done on them. ' I think' that'll get my engine up and running again ('coarse it's only a matter of time Before I get enough ribbing from both Kelly, and Rich, to do more to my engine than 'just' leave it stock :) ).

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Since it will be awhile before the heads are ready to be installed, it's on to doing all the hydraulics and rebuilding the brake system.

I already have Wilwood master and slave for the clutch and a Cardone Duel Brake master cylinder. I ordered a poop load of stuff from Sunbeam Specialties (Rick seems like a really nice guy and I'm glad to support SS) including rebuild kits for the front calipers and rear cylinders, new rubber brake hoses and a couple preformed brake lines (since I'm changing over to Dual and eliminating the booster I didn't order the complete brake line kit). I'll get a good 'double bubble' forming tool and some steel brake line for the rest of the job. I didn't order new discs yet because just glancing at mine I don't feel and wear and they look really thick, enough to have them machined if need be, we'll see.

I haven't done a brake job since High School and that was on my Austin Healey Bugeye so at least there may be similar British parts I might remember messing with.

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,

Do yourself a favor and don't use steel brake lines, especially if you
want to do your own flares. Use cupro-nickle lines. It comes in a roll and is very easy to bend and shape and flares very easily too. Also, it won't corrode like steel.

You should be able to pick it up where ever you buy the flaring tool.

Cheers!
Steve

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike,

Do yourself a favor and don't use steel brake lines, especially if you
want to do your own flares. Use cupro-nickle lines. It comes in a roll and is very easy to bend and shape and flares very easily too. Also, it won't corrode like steel.

You should be able to pick it up where ever you buy the flaring tool.

Cheers!
Steve

Thanks Steve.

Anybody know what the brake lines (pipe) from Sunbeam Specialities is made of?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Been a long time since the engine was running. Intakes that wouldn't seal correctly, a blown radiator and then cracked heads (yes, both of them). I lost count how many times I've torn down and reassembled this engine to one degree or another. My rescued Alpine is 'still' (after nearly 30years of lying in a field or next to a barn) waiting to be driven again.

Well, thanks to all that have helped so much, progress.....:D

https://goo.gl/photos/q4QAfhMbdYMKij579

Next up, hydraulics (Clutch, Brake system overhaul), a driveline and after waiting decades she'll be back on the road!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations, :D Mike

A wonderful feeling of accomplishment...... Next step,

DanR

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Good on you Mike. After what you've been thru last few years this is a major accomplishment.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, after 3 years up on jack stands, I lowered the Alpine onto 4 new tires. After some 30 years of not being driven, I got it running just well enough (still ironing out carb problems) to put it in gear, pull it out of the garage, back into the sunlight and then into reverse and back into the garage, a few times :)

Now I finally know the clutch actually works, the transmission actually works and the brakes work. A small but big day for the ol' girl.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Congratulations, Mike. I'm jealous. You're working hard on that little beauty so I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Congratulations, Mike. I'm jealous. You're working hard on that little beauty so I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time.

Thanks man.

It had been high up jacks for so long when I lowered it all the way down onto the tires it seemed so low to the ground that for a second I thought the suspension no longer supported the cars weight :) Looks so much better now though.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Photos

Thanks man.

It had been high up jacks for so long when I lowered it all the way down onto the tires it seemed so low to the ground that for a second I thought the suspension no longer supported the cars weight :) Looks so much better now though.

Any photos of this little car?

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I took a look at your photos and was amazed at how nicely the car cleaned up. Your paint job looks better than the paint on my 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Series II that needs a paint job. Anyway, KUDOS on the hard work you have managed in restoring the car and the work done on your engine. I don't think I would have the energy for that much hard work. Thanks, Mike

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike, appreciate it.

It really is hard to believe the before and after pictures are the same car without new paint and re-chromeing. When I bring it to Cars & Coffee or get together I'm going to have some before pictures on hand, makes folks appreciate the condition it's in now. I kept as much originality in it as I could. Even left the old carpet in it ('most' of it still intact) and 70's furry seat covers.

Sometimes wish I hadn't actually cleaned it up at all, just for the sake of 'that's how I found it', like you see occurring at some top end classic car auctions nowadays. I saw an episode of Chasing Classic Cars where Wayne Carini towed in an old original classic (Ferrari I think), dirt, cobwebs and all straight into a high end auction. Very cool actually.