• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

An Alpine Tale

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
A good Alpine Story,
I have a co-worker that in his youth bought a 63 Sunbeam Alpine instead of the Austin Healy sitting next to it for $100 more, a mistake now when looking back. Dale liked the Alpine and being in California enjoyed the top down weather, this was in 1969 being young and groovy nothing like a cool hip car. Dale liked to party, 25 and well most of us remember being young and crazy. Dale and his buddy’s decide to go too a Chamber Brothers concert. Dale buy’s a case of beer and gallon of wine, hops in the red 63 Alpine and meets his pals at the concert. What a concert and after consuming the case of beer and the gallon of wine and rocking and grooving hops in his Alpine drunk and heads towards home, disclaimer – “Never Drink and Driveâ€. Dale was so drunk that the local bar would not let him in for another drink, so he heads home. Even drunk Dale can drive the little Alpine straight as an arrow down Highway 60 in LA on Riverside heading West bond. When he passed the police office that had someone else stopped the only reason he came after Dale was because the little red Alpine was going so fast. Now according to the LAPD he clocked Dale in the 63 Sunbeam Alpine going over 90 MPH, yes over 90. When the officer asked Dale to step out of the car, Dale fell out on the street, as we know its not a far fall from an Alpine. Dale collects himself and was promptly taken to Jail and booked for a DWI. A stiff fine of 350 dollars which in 1969 was a chunk of money and license suspended for one year, no jail time, and driving school. Alpine was left along the road and not towed was still sitting there when Dale went with buddy’s to take it home.
So somewhere in California is a police record of a 63 red Sunbeam Alpine being clocked going over 90 miles per hour in 1969.

Donna

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I used to own a Mk II Tiger that I bought in 1980 for the huge sum of $2400. It already had some noticeable repairs to the nose and right front fender when I bought it. When I got it home I finally noticed that the frame rail over the right side of the crossmember was seriously buckled. The story I got back then the seller (the second owner), which was confirmed 20 years later by other sources, was that the original owner liked to get loaded on acid and drive around town reeeeeeally fast. Hooo-BOY! Short of playing Russian Roulette with five bullets, I can't think of a more dangerous combination. Eventually, a tree jumped out in front of him.

Dick Sanders
Kent, WA

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Donna, I have no doubt about the 90 mph. Out of curiosity, I did a two way run in my Series II, on a chilly day in November of 1964. Got maximum speedometer readings of 95 and 105 in 4th overdrive. About a two mile run each way. While the speedo was never certified, I feel the readings were pretty accurate as the car had only about 20K on it.

Bill
Oh yes. I was sober at time as this was before I became corrupted by the U.S. Army. Just stupid.