• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

aluminum radiator for ??????

Opa64

Donation Time
to the person who asked about an american made aluminum radiator , I am so sorry for taking so long but I could not locate my paperwork for the one I bought. However , if it can help you or someone else , I found a site on Ebay still selling the 3 row (for extra cooling) from California. Ebay item # is 394109690251 cost is $668 with free S/H. dsn_cooling (autocooling) Worley.

alpine_64

Donation Time
to the person who asked about an american made aluminum radiator , I am so sorry for taking so long but I could not locate my paperwork for the one I bought. However , if it can help you or someone else , I found a site on Ebay still selling the 3 row (for extra cooling) from California. Ebay item # is 394109690251 cost is $668 with free S/H. dsn_cooling (autocooling) Worley.
They are the Chinese made ones by the photo

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I get the stock radiators recored with a 3 row copper core for less than that aluminum one.
Copper cools much better than aluminum does.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The weakest link in any automotive radiator cooling system is the transfer of heat energy from the metal of the radiator to the air passing through the radiator. The transfer of heat energy from copper to air is no better (or worse) than the transfer of heat energy from aluminum to air.

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Seeing I am thinking of an Aluminum Rad for the WR Alpine, I had to check this thread.

However, the OP ebay Ref # is not very inviting.

With a 94% positive feedback, and upper price, not to mention questionable mounting brackets,

maybe not the best choice.

And then, the other Ebay suggestions look better, even if from China....

But, of course, I'm looking for a S1-2 Rad.

DW

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Seeing I am thinking of an Aluminum Rad for the WR Alpine, I had to check this thread.

However, the OP ebay Ref # is not very inviting.

With a 94% positive feedback, and upper price, not to mention questionable mounting brackets,

maybe not the best choice.

And then, the other Ebay suggestions look better, even if from China....

But, of course, I'm looking for a S1-2 Rad.

DW
Only alloy sl/ii are out of UK. High spec race radiator... Jerry bought one when I shared the source

fireroad

Donation Time
An aluminum radiator will work just as well for our purposes as re-cored copper. Copper is better at conducting heat than aluminum, but aluminum is able to radiate the heat into the air better than copper because of its lower density.

For a US made aluminum radiator check our FSR in Memphis TN. Ship them your original radiator and they will make and exact copy in house. I have one of theirs my SV, no issues after testing it thoroughly for a summer in New Mexico. My father has used them with his Austin Healey 100 and XK150 with great results.

Another thing you can do to help reduce heat is block the holes where the horn would be on each side to redirect more air towards the radiator. You can make your own plates or grab a set of these.

-Brian

alpine_64

Donation Time
A small advantage to the aluminium radiator is they are a fair bit lighter... But also depending on quality of core... Harder to repair.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another thing you can do to help reduce heat is block the holes where the horn would be on each side to redirect more air towards the radiator. You can make your own plates or grab a set of these.
It is interesting that someone made those plates for the horn holes. I think they will be a challenge to use on Alpines without some modifications when there are horns in the horn holes, or oil cooler hoses in the horn holes. Maybe that is why they are listed for Tigers.

Mike

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
It is interesting that someone made those plates for the horn holes. I think they will be a challenge to use on Alpines without some modifications when there are horns in the horn holes, or oil cooler hoses in the horn holes. Maybe that is why they are listed for Tigers.

Mike
Mike with the tiger you also need to relocate the horns if you want access to the outside world for them... In my Tiger I mounted them down lower so the horn holes can be blocked off.

They list them as tiger born hole blanking plates as Alpines don't suffer the same issues as Tigers re overheating

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the information. I had the original radiator inspected, cleaned, and repaired. I took our the Chinese aluminum radiator that leaked badly and tossed it. All is well now. I appreciate the link to Alpine Innovations.
Rich