• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alternator coversion ad

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Why not just install a good ole Delco ?

it is an easy and inexpensive conversion to use a Delco 10si or 12si available at any auto parts store - normally in the $35-$40 range

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It seems to me that Jeb is talking about a "generator look alike" alternator for a positive ground car (S3 ???).

Changing from positive to negative ground is not that difficult, but a negative ground alternator is not a bolt-in on a positive ground car.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, You could be correct in the "substitute look-a-like", I was merrily thinking of a change out for the Alternator in lieu of the generator.

DanR

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeb, Many of us have converted from Generator to Alternator using a GM Alt or (my favorite) a Hitachi 14231, as used on a1980 Nissan 720 pickup L4 2.0 liter 2BBL. Cost about $50 at any US parts store. Much has been posted on this forum how to do such a change. The car needs to be Neg earth. If you want to stay pos earth and want to maintain original "Generator Look" then this option you linked is the only solution I know. If you want to do a conversion, do a search here on 14231

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Which item? The Hitachi? You may not be able to easily find NOS under the Hitachi name anymore but Autozone and others have a rebuilt, house-brand equivalent. Mine was roughly $60. I haven't installed it yet but it looks perfectly compatible.

Last edited: