• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternative Alpine Seats

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
What did you use for brackets?
Bruce
Bruce, used 1 1/4" square ally tube Tig'd a flange to the side. I mounted the front on the raised portion of the floor to have some rake and the rear is just bolted thru.
The seats are fixed no sliders, here's a picture of the front.IMG_20210226_115011504.jpg IMG_20210226_115011504.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The seats are fixed no sliders
That is a really interesting point. Whenever I have tried alternate seats, and I have tried a few, I always found they sit too high. But, it never occurred to me to mount them without the sliders, which I never use anyway. Something to think about when the time comes to mount my Miata seats to my SIV. Thanks!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
This has got me thinking about adding some height to the front attachment point of my standard seat rails to add some rake to the seat. With my over long legs, more rake to the seat bottom is always a good thing.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
That is a really interesting point. Whenever I have tried alternate seats, and I have tried a few, I always found they sit too high. But, it never occurred to me to mount them without the sliders, which I never use anyway. Something to think about when the time comes to mount my Miata seats to my SIV. Thanks!
The reason I don't have sliders is I replaced the floors and didn't bother fabbing the tapered mounting for the original seats,which I didn't have anyway.
The pedals are adjustable likewise the column.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
This has got me thinking about adding some height to the front attachment point of my standard seat rails to add some rake to the seat. With my over long legs, more rake to the seat bottom is always a good thing.
Until ya neck out on the steering wheel.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Jim, when I mounded Miata seat into my car I welded on mounts to the Miata bottoms so I could use the Sunbeam tracks and it gives it some rake. That way my wife can still drive it if needed.
i-2HcGBDs-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a series 1 and can't find seats. I was curious if anyone tried these:

Cobra Seats® - Roadster XL Race Seat more details on - https://www.carid.com/cobra-seats/roadster-xl-race-seat.html

EMPI 62-2400 Poly Low Back Comfort Bucket Seat

Speedway Aluminum Hot Rod Bomber Seat
I fitted the cobra classic CS racing seat with their universal sliding runers to my series II in 1997:
https://www.carid.com/cobra-seats/cobra-seats-classic-cs-racing-seats-universal-104102864.html

Been a good seat, i will say belt oass throughs on the side buckets would be good as the belts chafe the leading edge of the bolster. Also the bottom squab will compress over time... That said i did daily drive mine for 10 years in that period so probably saw more use than most

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Jim, when I mounded Miata seat into my car I welded on mounts to the Miata bottoms so I could use the Sunbeam tracks and it gives it some rake. That way my wife can still drive it if needed.
That is probably the correct solution, especially given that I need to recover my Miata seats anyway. Do you have a sense of how high they sit relative to stock seats?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't, I have not had stock seats in over 30 years. They are low to the floor, I look through the middle if the windshield. I can get you measurements if you want.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. There is absolutely no rush on that, but I would be interested in knowing approximately how high the seat sits off of the floor. It will be nearly impossible to measure accurately, but the proper measurement is probably how high your butt is from the floor. :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
FWIW, I measured my seats today. As shown in the photo below, from the floor (carpeted with Dynamat underneath) to the highest point on the seat (by the adjustment lever, so fairly close to the seat back) is about 7 1/4" (it looks a little more in the photo because of the camera angle) My butt would certainly sit lower, but this seemed like a good place to start relative to figuring out where a recently rebuilt stock seat sits.

upload_2021-3-1_18-6-49.jpeg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The sides are level with the door sill and the seat bottom is about 1 1/2 lower then the sides.
Image-361-XL.jpg

Image-360-XL.jpg

Image-358-XL.jpg

Image-354-XL.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The sides are level with the door sill and the seat bottom is about 1 1/2 lower then the sides.
Thanks. I can't get a comparable measurement, as my trim is not stock and I no longer have the aluminum trim installed. But, it looks to me like my seats still sit a little lower. But, this looks close enough that I will try your method when I rebuild my seats.

Thanks again.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The one picture is like yours from the floor carpeted with Dynamat underneath, I also have Dynamat. Mine is 4 inches to the top edge of the seat, then the seat drops down to the bottom about 1.5 inches.