• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpines attract attention

napa 1

Donation Time
Have spent the whole day today buzzing around in my Series I doing errands. I must confess that I haven't been driving her as much as I should, but made up for it today. The comments, smiles, waves, thumbs up were continuous. One gentleman from across the street wanted to know if it was a small studebaker (actually quite astute considering the car was designed by ex Studebaker designer Ken Howes). My daughter (14) likes me to drive her to school in it, because all the boys standing around the school come up to her and ask her about the car...hmmm not sure how I feel about this.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll admit that I am a little tired of people asking me about the car and then have to spend 10 minutes talking to them. I know I sound like an old grump but I always run into some knucklehead that asks if it is a boat car or made by the toaster company. Sometimes they are good. A couple of bikers - the real kind not the weekend Harley guys - came up to me outside a NAPA. I was a little worried until one of them started to tell me how his father had one in the 60's and how is dad would have all the kids pile in and take them to baskin Robbins for ice cream. I thought he might cry.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I took my Series I V6 Alpine to a car show this past weekend in Moab Utah. I was told there were 750 cars there and I don't doubt it. I was parked between a very nice modified 57 Chevy Belaire and a 1967 Mustang that was getting a little tired but still very very nice with no rust or body damage. Both were clean beautiful cars. There I sat with my lowly little Alpine attracting all the attention. People asking questions, taking photos and asking about the car.

Those that knew anything about Sunbeams thought it was a Tiger even though it says Alpine on the side. Most were perplexed by the V6 and 5speed and asked questions. I would guess that talked to 200 people about my car. All during this time people would walk by the other two cars and maybe make a comment like "nice car" or something then they would stop and talk to me.

Lots of attention an I enjoyed every minute of it.

On the 200 mile drive home cars would pass me (keep in mind I was cruising along between 75 and 85) and give me the thumbs up or waive.

Gotta love these Alpine.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hi, Rob. My experience has been quite the opposite. I've taken my SV to two car shows and even had a professionally-made sign describing the car. Virtually nobody even stopped to look, far less speak to me. All they were interested in was pre-2000 Corvettes (IMHO one of the ugliest cars ever), second-seried T'birds (almost as ugly), hotrods etc. If it wasn't some Detroit iron with things never seen in the factory (like chrome-plated everything in the engine) and candy-apple paint, it wasn't worth a look.

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
An Actual little old lady from pasadena

Hi Guys.
I love driving it and seeing the oos and ahhs. And i did have a little old lady in pasadena say "young man that is a beautiful car" as she walked past at a light. That made me feel good and laugh. At 50 being called young was Nice too. So Hear i am living the dream in LA with an Alpine! Sorta Like a beach-boys song almost. I did have a guy say "hay get smart"kind of sarcastically witch i was not sure if he was mocking me but If he was I just chalked it up to I guess maybe jealousy.
But i get what your saying Nick. Depends on location i think.
I get the feeling from some of the other vintage car buffs out there that if its not american its not worth the time. which I do not agree. I think i get a lot of pride out of knowing most people could never maintain a sunbeam long enough to drive it.
Anyone can throw money at having a nice car but the cool factor of owning a sunbeam and understanding its quarks can't be bought. I get all kinds of comments about how awesome it is.
I love the style of these cars and the (god help me) engineering. Even given its problems they are great cars and I hope you all get as big a thrill out of it as i do. every time im out with it i smile (till she acts up) then i curse some an get the tools from the boot. So appreciate your good fortune. You are cool!
Cheers
Chaz

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
When they ask 'what is it'? Tell them what I do:

1) It's the original Smart Car (aka Maxwell Smart).

2) It's the original Beamer (aka Sunbeamer).

lemansvk

Donation Time
I take mine to shows twice a year and always have lots of folk wanting to talk about it - how they or their dad had one, what good cars they were, what sort of engine etc. Many are surprised when I show them the alloy head and tell about the disc brakes, on a 1963 car.

When I drive it people smile and wave - when I fill it with fuel, someone other customer comes up to talk and the person 'driving' the cash register says something complimentary.

Over many years I've had just one sour comment - from an old-timer Austin fan. When I told him it was from the Rootes Group he said " What? Hillmans? had one of those once , what a rust heap!, I always had Austins they were much better" To which I replied "Yeah, my father had an Austin once, but when we went on a trip in it we always took train fare to make sure we could get home"

Vic

britbeam

Donation Time
My experience at car shows locally was much like Nicks until I installed the V6. At that point it kinda puts the Alpine in a crossover state with the car guys. There are no more of the comments like "You know they put a V8 in some of these" and Whoa you did this conversion yourself. It really puts the car in a more acceptable light with custom car guys.Yea Rob I love the fact I can cruise at 75 mph with ease with low rpms .The Alpine is a great little car no matter which engine you have in it. It just has more appeal the hotrod crowd if it has a bit more rumble .
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Imported cars won't attract much attention at what is basically, an American car show, because American car fans don't care much for small four cylindered cars. You could take a well turned out stock MG, or Triumph, and would get virtually the same reaction. Rob's Alpine would attract attention, not only because it has been restored to the nines, but because it is modified with a V style engine. Another thing about Rob's Alpine, is that the engine looks like it came from the factory with the V6. The engine looks cute sitting in a cute small car.

I think the same situation would occur, if you were to take an American car to an imported car show. You wouldn't just face indifference; I believe you would experience downright hostility.

It is nice to get favorable responses to our Alpines, but even if we don't, we should enjoy them because they please us.

Jose :)

Duke

Donation Time
When they ask 'what is it'? Tell them what I do:

1) It's the original Smart Car (aka Maxwell Smart).

2) It's the original Beamer (aka Sunbeamer).

Funny....I will use those.

One minor flaw though, even though most people will not get it.

BMW motorcycles are referred to as Beamers.

BMW cars are referred to as Bimmers. Most BMW owners (new) do not know this. Then again, most new BMW owner do not know how to change oil...or open the hood.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Here in Manitoba Canada we are known as the car people province.
The car show circuit has already started and now till the end of October you can attend at least 2 0r 3 shows a weekend as there are so many different car clubs as well tech schools and corporation shows.May 10 I will start at the Mustang welcome to cruising show.I will take the 62 and the Model A which will be driven by my grandson.I attend Ford only as well as chrysler only shows as the 62 lets me be eligible as to Ford V8 and Chrysler owning Rootes.May 11th is our Manitoba Antique and Classic car clubs big annual swap meet.70 plus vendors and 2 to 300 classic cars will show up.attendance is usually around 10,000 depending on weather.I will be there at 6 am the vendors set up staets a t 6.30 am
At shows the 62 or Lister do get a lot of attention as we have such a knowlegeable populous.The biggest joy is sitting back and listening to some of the comments from the general public who really like the car.I do get involved with many and do have very pleasant conversations with them.
And yes there are many who had or knew someone owning a Sunbeam.
Of course there are those who will see you and first question is that the one with the 289 as per Tiger.
After 40 + years with Sunbeams I think I will be still subject to the addiction.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
napa1,
Your daughter is only 14, just wait! Based on my experience, things will change to either:
1. I hate this car! It messes up my hair and dries out my contacts. or
2. I love this car...can I drive it!

Good Luck! Enjoy it while you can!

napa 1

Donation Time
actually she's convinced that one of the other two Alpine's I'm working on is going to be hers....and yes we do have the messy hair issue, but she's willing to deal with it to ride in the Alpine.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Sport Cars

:D
I love my Vicki the Alpine, she was my first convertible and my first classic car. But after driving my new toy the Saturn Sky Redline for 1 1/2 years and it draws as much or more attention I don't drive Vicki anymore. Part of it is the GT no soft top on Vicki easier to hop into the Sky and not fret about the chance of rain. This morning was a tough choice since it was in the 50's temperature wise and sunny no chance of rain I could of driven Vicki but no I grab the Sky keys and off too work I go.
Yes I am feeling guilty here and well I guess I should, poor old Vicki she needs to be driven, maybe if I get an OD in her so I can keep up with traffic that would help. Funny how that was not a big issue till I got the turbo Sky, agh :(
Seems I have become a speed monster in the Sky, I have gone to the dark side by driving a turbo car instead of my basic Alpine, funny how driving the Corvette Pumpkin never changed my attitude just the Sky. Maybe at the Orphan Show tomorrow with Vicki I was again be renewed with interest from admiring fans, I hope so! But in the mean time wicked ride home top down in the Sky today!

Donna
:D

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yesterday

I enjoy driving my V6 whether or not it gets noticed. Night time day time. No matter...... But yesterday I decided to drive it up to Lake Tahoe one more time before I load it up and head back to Phoenix. Besides, the transporter won't take it with more than a few gallons. I stopped for lunch and later for coffee. Sitting at lights. Got lots of waves, comments/compliments, thumbs up... But more important than that I got to drive the car I love around one of the most beautiful lakes in the west. Perfect day.

PS. I have a great transporter. Two car trailer, enclosed. Car is leaving Reno tomorrow and will be in Phoenix late Sunday. Door to door. No transfering. Be glad to refer him.