• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alpine_64's mystery dash door seal?

socorob

Donation Time
Hi Michael,
I think I figured out the mystery seal you posted about a while back that looks like it would go on each end of the dash cap in early series cars. I recently redid my doors so I pulled the doors off my parts car and stripped them of everything that was left that was still salvageable (which wasn't much, mainly wanted the pins from the doors to re key all my locks). Anyway my parts car was supposedly parked in the early 70s and left to rust so it was very complete just not many good metal parts were left. When I removed the chrome a pillars/ front door window tracks, one had a light layer of foam or rubber left on the front of it where it meets the dash when you close the door. It attached to the door not the dash, so any thick piece of foam would be easy to make it from. I guess it would only need to be about 1/2" thick or so and if you pressed it into the a pillar it would leave an indented pattern of the shape it needs to be to cut out.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Robbie,

Indeed that is interesting, I assume it was in the recessed part of the casting at the leading edge of base part of the window guide. It would be interesting to see. I should have taken some pics of a very original SII at the national meet here, it had the petrified remains of 1 of the types of seals i posted images of from the parts manual. It was attached to the end of the dash, but it might be a different part earlier/later than what you have mentioned, would love some pics of what you have found.

socorob

Donation Time
Ahhh sorry, I should have taken a photo of the remains before I scraped it off. It was barely any left and it rubbed right off with my finger. The thin layer of glue under it flaked right off.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ahhh sorry, I should have taken a photo of the remains before I scraped it off. It was barely any left and it rubbed right off with my finger. The thin layer of glue under it flaked right off.

That's a bad Robbie!!!! :p

always document original fittings/undisturbed parts.. it's amazing what information and things we can learn from them... I should have taken the pictures of the interstate car i saw with them.. i mentioned them to the owner, but didnt take a photo.. :rolleyes:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Al Mason sent me a pic of a SI Alpine he has, i have zoomed i on the part, this is probably the early version, but you can see how it would bridge the dash to window guide.

Attachments

• rubber capping.jpg
    rubber capping.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 64

socorob

Donation Time
I just went and looked. I didn't get all the glue off the right one. I looked at the left one, and I could see 2 small spots left. I'm not sure if it ill show up in these pictures or not.

Attachments

• a pillar l.JPG
    a pillar l.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 42
  • a pillar r.JPG
    a pillar r.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 42