• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine with Miata 1.6L Engine/Trans

lobo1625

Donation Time
Welcome back! I for one would love to hear more about specific details on the integration. I don't know the Miata engine auxiliaries well. Did you retain all the stock injection and computer? How does all that get mated to the Alpine? It sounds like the Miata integration was much simpler.

Jay,
I would actually venture to say that the wiring was the hardest part of the entire conversion. I had a donor car that I stripped the harness out of to start. After that, I labeled everything that I wanted to remove and stripped those wires out of the car... Headlights, Turn Signals, Airbags, ABS, Power Steering sensors, etc. I think i removed 15lbs of wire all said and done!

The factory computer was retained and I hid the entire computer under a the 'False Floor' in the passenger side foot-well. This is actually the same place the computer is on a Miata. The similarities in the two cars is really uncanny!

Integrating the remaining engine harness into the alpine was really pretty easy after that. I hooked up the main power from the battery to the starter where it was on the Miata. I used the same wires from the ignition switch to the back of the Alpine Switch (It HAD to look right with the hood down!) That was really it, The alpine distributes the power to the rest of the car via one or two wires on the fuse block, so hook those up to power and, Viola, running car!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow, that's great. You've probably already done it - but the next most important thing is to make sure you have wiring diagram for those that follow you!

kmathis

Donation Time
Hey, glad your thread is back on track...when you are ready for the Jackson Racing Super Charger; let me know, Oscar Jackson lives 4 doors down from me; he is a real fun guy to talk to, and his shop is close by as well.:)

lobo1625

Donation Time
Wow, that's great. You've probably already done it - but the next most important thing is to make sure you have wiring diagram for those that follow you!

Yeah.... I might have failed to note that all down. It was really more of a science experiment to see if I could make the engine run on the harness I stripped out of the Miata. The Alpines have such a basic harness it's laughable, only 3 connections had to be made. When stripping down the Miata harness I basicly laid it out on the ground and picked a connector I wanted to remove (i.e. headlight) and cut the wires that connected to it out. Once I had trimmed away all of the ancillaries, I set it back on the engine, connected the remaining plugs and added 12v with a battery to see what smoked! I kept the Miata ignition switch in place until the very end to make sure I had the car starting and running reliably.

As far as the supercharger, I really think it would fit nicely in the cars! I ended up using the stock airbox from the miata (modified slightly) and from what I've seen of the JR superchargers they would nest nicely above the exhaust manifold.

If Oscar has a spare 1.6 setup laying around I'd gladly try it! :D (Also if he has a 1.8L setup I could put it on my Miata... for comparison....):p