• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine with Miata 1.6L Engine/Trans

lobo1625

Donation Time
I just wanted to share a conversion that I did. This is a 1967 Alpine with a 1992 Mazda Miata 1.6L 4-cylinder and 5 Speed manual transmission. I used the wiring harness/computer from the donor Miata so everything was plug and play. Had to have a Radiator fabricated, and modified the exhaust header, but all in all, a very easy conversion. Definately an upgrade in reliability, power and fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3289_Small.jpg
    IMG_3289_Small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3290_Small.jpg
    IMG_3290_Small.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3226_Small.jpg
    IMG_3226_Small.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3358_Small.jpg
    IMG_3358_Small.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 194

alpine_64

Donation Time
That's a really neatly carried out conversion, looks like it all fits in rather well. Were there any issues with clearance of the steering box and drag link? Did you thin of using the 1.8 motor?

Also.. why the Dino badges? Is there a fiat/ferrari reference I am missing?

lobo1625

Donation Time
Thank you for the kind words. The only modifications to the Alpine were for the radiator, which had to be moved forward, and the motor mounts. I also had to cut the tunnel for the Miata shifter . The stock transmission crossmember just has an adapter plate welded to it and actually uses the Alpine transmission mount.

I did consider the 1.8l Miata engine, but the 1.6l is simpler and I found a running donor Miata for $600. That really helped the decision! The steering interfered with my first mockup of the exhaust header, but a little heat and a hammer and the header was clear of everything.

The rear end is a stock Alpine rear with stock gears. I had a driveshaft made to go from the Miata gearbox to the Sunbeam Axle. I'd like to go a little deeper with the gears to match a stock Miata, but there don't seem to be many choices.

As for the badges, my name is Dino, so the Dino Ferrari badges are my signature to the car. :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dino,

really well executed conversion.. if you took lots of pictures along the way i am sure many here would love to see them.

As for rear end ratios.. they are either very short ones used in commercial rootes cars or the Alpine ratios of 4,22 or 3,89.. there was 3.7 used in later cars and that was being reproed for a little while, but not any more IIRC.

The other option is what the V6 conversion guys do, which is the ford 8" shortened.. that gives you a great variety of ratios and also LSD option and a stronger rear.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bravo

Nicely done is the red car in the background a similar project. What can you tweak in HP out of the 1.6

I can remember giving them a run for their money in my old VW's.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice work Dino! With my Lyrad project, a one-off using a Series I Alpine platform, I melded a Miata independent rear suspension into the Series I frame. This allows the use of a Torsen rear end produced in Miatas (not all Miatas) from 1994. This is capable of handling significant HP increases from Miata engines. The 8 inch Ford rear end is usually reserved for the V8 conversions or any high end HP engine. The original Mark II Jaguar engine used in the Lyrad produces 220HP and the Torsen should handle that just fine. I'm working on the front suspension Lyrad/Miata adaptation this winter.

Attachments

• Q Miata donor 2.jpg
    Q Miata donor 2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 116
  • R miata donor 3.jpg
    R miata donor 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 119
  • G Rotesserie mount 2.jpg
    G Rotesserie mount 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 117
  • O Installation Miata rail 2.jpg
    O Installation Miata rail 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P Installed Miata rail 4.jpg
    P Installed Miata rail 4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 107

kmathis

Donation Time
I just wanted to share a conversion that I did. This is a 1967 Alpine with a 1992 Mazda Miata 1.6L 4-cylinder and 5 Speed manual transmission. I used the wiring harness/computer from the donor Miata so everything was plug and play. Had to have a Radiator fabricated, and modified the exhaust header, but all in all, a very easy conversion. Definately an upgrade in reliability, power and fun!

This is a nice looking conversion...that motor sure looks happy in there.:)

lobo1625

Donation Time
I know Miata engines are bulletproof little setups and at 115bhp /100lbft stock it's a nice replacement for a from a Stock Apline power-plant. I know that there are LOTS of options to up the HP up above the 250 range. I think the Supercharger would still fit very nicely, but that may be reason for another conversion to an Early MK1-MK3 conversion later on!

I think the car has 3.89's in the back right now, but i'd really like to find the 4.22 gears for the back. These would match much better the rear end in a Miata. Is there a source for new gears or would I have to find a donor?

That is a VERY ambitious Series 1 Lyrad conversion project! I look forward to seeing progress pictures! My original thought was to use as much of the Miata driveline and suspension as possible, but after pulling the engine and dropping the 1.6l in, i decided an engine/transmission was enough!

I did take about 125 pictures of the conversion process, but am glad to share any knowledge and answer any questions about the whole process. The Red car in the background is one of the many restored Tigers that I've learned on. This is the only 4 cylinder Alpine in the group.

Here are some more pictures of the Fuel system. I chose to go with copper tubing since it is easy to work with and keep tucked in close to the frame. I did have to run a supply and a return line since the Miata engine is setup for a return. I ran the return into the drivers side tank, but in hindsight it really wouldn't matter much.

I'm going to see about setting up an album with better resolution pictures for anyone interested to browse later.

Attachments

• IMG_2992_Small.jpg
    IMG_2992_Small.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2990_Small.jpg
    IMG_2990_Small.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2989_Small.jpg
    IMG_2989_Small.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2603_Small.jpg
    IMG_2603_Small.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG0578_Small.jpg
    CIMG0578_Small.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 134

kmathis

Donation Time
I would have to check, but I think I have a 4.22 ring gear, I changed out to a 3.70.
I think Jackson Racing makes a supercharger for that little motor...maybe. Oscar Jackson is my neighbor, and is usually talking superchargers on Mazdas.
Nice garage.:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dino... I got to ask.. is that your garage? i see at least 2 other late series Alpines in there and a MKII Tiger on the 4 post hoist (then there are the other cars.. but we can get to them later!)

lobo1625

Donation Time
I know Jackson Racing makes the supercharger kit which IIRC boosts HP to about 250. That would make a very affordable little conversion for these cars.

The rear end in the car is needing to be rebuilt so finding a 4.22 gearset would be great! I seem to recall seeing that gearset listed in Victoria British but marked as unavailable.

Also if I hadn't stated it, this isn't my car, I only built it for a friend. The 1725 had been giving him fits and was eating cams like an addiction so I begged him to let me try. This was the result!!

Unfortunately that is not my garage, it's my father's. The lifts and abundance of tools make doing work over there much more convenient! Those were not Alpines, all four of them are Tigers, one of each 'generation'. The garage is the unofficial 'Tigers of North Texas (TNT) club meeting location. Sunbeams are a bit of a sickness we have in the family....

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Just thinking........Would the fuel return line work if it was plumbed into the balance tube between the two fuel tanks.? The vent tube on top of the tanks. Would save having to weld another fitting into a gas tank.
Maybe just the lazy way !
Very nice conversion.

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

I did just that on my turbo Alpine. When I had to change out the dual VW fuel injection pumps because they began to leak, I put an after market Mustang fuel injection pump and had to put in a return line, I plumbed it into the balance tube hose between the two fuel tanks. It worked just fine.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim!

Boy is it great to see you posting again. How are you doing? Did you finally finish the large job in Las Vegas?

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
Jose,
Yep that was many jobs ago now.... on vacation for a bit, we fly to Costa Rica in the morning for 8 days

PJ62

Donation Time
which way to go

I am trying to decide wether to go with a miata powertrain (I currently drive a '99 miata) or a ford 260/289/302 powertrain for my series 11.I like the dependability of the mazda engine but the lure of greater horsepower with the ford is appealing. Any imput is appreciated.

Pat