• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alpine values

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I agree with Tony's comments earlier in the thread. Perception is a very powerful obstacle to overcome. The Alpine has always been perceived as too comfortable to be a real sports car "the British Thunderbird" as Bob Hagin noted in his Article he wrote for the San Francisco region SCCA.

Most automotive writers, britcar enthusiast, and even Sunbeam club members (be it TEAE, SAOC, CAT etc.) know little or anything regarding the Sunbeam Alpine's history on the track in the U.S.. For example check out towards the end of the Bring a Trailer comment section on this Alpine:

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/09/06/bat-exclusive-wedgewood-blue-1962-sunbeam-alpine-woverdrive/

Concorde writes, "Series II’s were barely competitive on the track in their day, being slightly overweight and underpowered like most Rootes cars, but they did well when their engines were set up by Doane Spencer and were driven by Jerry Titus and Stirling Moss."

An average "Joe" type, Concorde knows a little about Alpines and possibly more than most, but doesn't realize the Alpine was always in the running for SCCA National championships during the early-mid 60's. The Alpine even won a number of championships.

Even Art Evans, the automotive writer, hammers on the poor performance of the Alpine in many recent articles. As good a writer as Art Evans is apparently the man can't read because he continues to write the about his perception of the Alpine though I have written him a number of times to point out that the Alpine was more competitive than he thinks listing the successes.

The Alpine will appreciate in value like every other car but I don't think it will be valued as high as the MGA or TRs due to the "sporting" image. On the other hand it isn't a bad thing. You get to appreciate a really nice car for a real value.

Steve

Last edited:

delta5

Donation Time
fellow enthusiasts....

car values are a totally subjective number....an Alpine is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at a given time....

find somone that really wants a particular model for a particular memory and bingo, theres your value....

lot of people ask me , hey whats it worth?....how much should i pay?...i tell em all....buy a car because it reminds you, moves you , rings your bell, but dont buy em as investments... that way you,ll never be disappointed

whats my Alpine series V worth ? ...i dont know...how about 1,000 smiles....whats that worth?
david

London

Donation Time
Values

Just look at Craigs list California - often a lot up for sale

I almost bought a pretty 1V with a possibly vague gear box for $8 and finally bought a V which needs a bit of work - some floor surface rust and tuning etc plus minor electricals for $7k two months ago

Bring a trailor featured a fully restored V in Southern Cal for $8.5 which sold and I think there is still one on Craigs list LA a V with hard top for $8k

I think realistically unless 'show room' or tigers or exotic they are not worth much in the real market and people know - advertize the 8k car for 9.5k and no one calls at 8.5 there is interest

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
I got started in Alpines in the early 80's by a friend in California. He owned one and I thought they were a neat little car. He had a neighbor who was selling one so I went and looked. Straight body, no dents or rust anywhere and he had a parts car to go with it. Got both Series V cars for $500. Got back to Arizona and started noticing Alpines here and there around town. Bought 4 or 5 of them, some of them running and driving for $125 each and a couple more for $200 and $500. Late 90's bought a runner with lots of body dings for $1800 and early 2000 bought a really nice one for $6500. They're fairly rare in town now.....I think I bought most of them up. Some guys are hoarding them....I know a guy in Yuma that has 10 fin cars in his back yard. I know of a few others hiding in garages around the state. It is rare to see one on the road or in a car show. The Arizona Sunbeam Owner's Group has about 50 plus or minus owners on the roster but 6 is about the max to show up at one of our events. Tucson has a large contingent of Alpines/Tigers and usually are the majority at any ASOG event. Obviously the prices have gone up over the past 33 years I have been involved with Sunbeams but I think they are still undervalued.

Note to 65 Sunbeam: You are indeed a lucky man to have a wife who enjoys your cars. Mine has become more tolerant of the cars but hates to ride in the Alpine. She much prefers the '66 Mustang convertible. I really need to downsize and one of the cars will be going down the road without me.

65beam

Donation Time
values

cactusmasher,
most of our sunbeams belong to her. I do get to claim the old green car.