• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Series IV Engine/Trans. for sale!

Sunbeamer89

Donation Time
Hey everyone,
I just bought a 1962 Alpine and I am trying to sell the engine and transmission from it.
The VIN is B9107694 LRX. The Engine lists "Series IV Block #B9400223 LRX" (which is sort of odd since series IV blocks weren't put in Alpines until 1964).
Anyways, I am looking to sell the engine and transmission out of it. All of the parts are intact. The engine does turn over as of 06/01/2013. What I'm interested in is knowing if these parts have any value or if I would be better off just junking them. I haven't been able to find much online.
I'm looking for any and all advice regarding these parts (where to sell them, what their value is, if it's better to part them out, etc).
If anyone is interested or has any advice feel free to post or message me.
(If there are any serious inquires, you can email me at sunbeamer89@gmail.com)

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Your location would help people know if you are within reach for pickup. No location in your profile.

As far as the value, it's all junk until you need it, then you would give anything to find it. The block, crank, head, manifold and all bits are worth keeping.

PLEASE give it away to someone who will hoard it until someone else needs it before you junk it.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I guess the big question is........why are you selling the engine? Are you going a V6 conversion or parting out the whole car?

Sunbeamer89

Donation Time
Hello,
I updated my location in my profile. I live in Northern California (2 hours north of Sacramento).
I am selling it because I plan on using the car for Autocross.
I am just looking to sell the parts as fast as possible as I have no use for them. I'd prefer not to just junk them, but I don't want to just hang on to them.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just so you understand, it is not that "odd" that the motor you have seems newer than the car. Clearly the motor in your car has been replaced. If it was the original motor the serial number on it would match the VIN number. Replacing the motor in Alpines with newer ( or even older) motors is quite a common occurance.

I'm still curious (and I'm sure others are as well) about what kind of motor you plan to install in your 1962 Alpine for autocross.

Tom

Sunbeamer89

Donation Time
Good to know, thanks.
I am currently looking into putting a Ford 2300 (Turbocharged 4 Cyl) into it, but a final decision hasn't been made yet.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I doubt if anyone is really looking for a SIV engine, especially one that "may" need a rebuild. The 1725 is much more popular. I have 2 SI engines that I've seen running that no one wants. Still I keep them.

That said, if you don't want to keep them, give them to someone who will. Not much different than wasting your time taking them to the junk pile. If you were a couple of thousand miles closer, I might offer to take them. I'm not, someone else might be, let him/her do the storage thing.

Let's look at the trans. I have a couple of early ones (condition unknown). No one wants them either, although if they had a OD attached things might differ. Does yours? If so it probably has some value, especially if you can show that it works. Do you know what series it is? If not, let someone else store them.