• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine or Tiger Seat Question

Richard Fritz

Diamond Level Sponsor
I leaned on my driver's seat back, and something metallic popped. The seat will lock into position but now leans farther back when I sit in it. It leans 2-3 inches more from its stationary position.
I removed the seat back from the bottom frame but found nothing unusual. There were no broken cogs on the locking mechanism and the cam that raises and lowers the cogged frame functioned normally. There were no broken cogs on the half-moon, seat back cogged plate either. It all looks good... what am I missing? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Rich

The frames in the backrest crack near their base from people leaning on them.. usually the outer side as people lean on them to get in and out

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the seat backs are the same left and right
You could move the passenger to the drivers side while it's being repaired

If a weld broke in the seat back, the back will need to be totally rebuilt. Hopefully, the outer cover is okay. Why? These seats are glued together and the foam & cardboard is usually trashed trying to pull the outer cover off and getting to the bare frame. If these are still original and haven't been re-upholstered yet, they will need everything replaced anyway.
(The backs ARE the same for driver/pass)
Jan

Sounds like I need to find a good re-upholestry guy in SC and try to borrow a seat back from a Sunbeam guy in my area to get me through the repair process. I have a lot of shows and events booked in the coming months to attend and report on for several clubs. Is anyone willing to lend me their seat back if they're not using it? THANKS... Rich

Don't rush it off to exile at an upholstery shop yet. The seats are just nuts and bolts stuff, not rocket science. True, the upholstery is glued in spots but it's old glue and with a little care it's not too tough to remove and replace. I like contact cement or Barge cement for reinstallation. Keep your phone handy and take lots of pictures while disassembling. Even if you don't need them for reassembly they're fun to show people after the job is done.
Having said that I would also add to look closely at the backrest AND the seat bench frame. The bench (lower) frame is close to the floor and may have a rusted area (like mine did) that will need to be straightened and reinforced. It's great that you have a capable welder at your disposal! With that you should be able to do this repair in no time - or a weekend anyway.
Joe

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the seat backs are the same left and right
You could move the passenger to the drivers side while it's being repaired
The only difference is that the locking arm is on opposite side of the seat.....( No biggie)

OK... to all my Sunbeam advisors...
All you comments and suggestions were valuable to me. I learned a lot from you.
I found out today that my sests and interior were not Martha Wheat creations. I spoke to her today and she is looking at photos of the seat back to offer sugestions regarding disassembly of the cover from the back. I also spoke to Todd Smith, who restored my GT to concors conditon. He confirmed that the enture interior was done by a shop in Lexington, SC, and they are still in business.
I'll be talking to them this week about getting the seat back repaired.
Recreating it could be difficult, but repairing the damage will be much easier, if it can be fixed.
Thanks for all you help. Forum people are worth their weight in gold.
Rich

Seen some J.C. Whitney seat and door panels a year or so ago.... The difference was amazing. Crap came from other places than China on the past..

Back