• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Needed For Ca Magazine Photo Shoot May 9

burgy711

Donation Time
He is interested in Alpines to stay true to the story and the comparison in history that he is attempting to make. His June cover story is a comparison of a new Chrysler two seater to some other current two seater cars and then to the last time that Chrysler produced a two seater. This is where the strict need for an Alpine comes in.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
In case anyone cares, I did end up doing it this morning. It was fun. Who knows how many shots of my car they are going to use. I think that any real Alpine expert will point out lots of issues, and even Richard admitted it was a bit of a stretch. But, even then, sometimes just having the older car in the back of the pictures adds something to the depth of the article.

As to the Demon, he asked if I would buy one. I have to admit it was very nice, from all angles. If I was in the market for a small two seater, small engine, sports car, I'd certainly have it on the list. But, I don't know if I'll ever be in that market again. I've got the Alpine for that and the new cars, while great in so many ways, and better than the Alpine in so many ways, don't jump out at me.

A

autotronic

Many Thanks To Jay

What can I say but thanks to Jay who took time out of his day to be part of this shoot and this project. I wanted to do something special with the Dodge Demon, beyond shooting it with its contemporaries, the Saturn Sky and the Mazda Miata. The reason why I wanted an Alpine, as opposed to a Tiger was simple. The Alpine was the last time Chrysler MARKETED a small, light weight 2-seat roadster, when the Rootes Group was part of the overseas empire of the then Chrysler Corporation. I felt there was an obscure link between the two cars and wanted very much to take advantage of it.

I shot about 10 MB of images in less than four hours (we started at 7 AM and finished ed at 11 AM) and would like very much to give the members here, and Jay especially, a first look.

The attached photos may not be the best images from the shoot, but as I am finishing up issue two of Automotive Traveler, and this feature will go into issue three with an extensive web-extra preview in two weeks, I wanted to get a picture up here as my way of saying thanks to all the people who contributed to this thread as well as the larger Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger community. I will edit and get posted some higher resolution images on my server and after I do, will invite you all to take a look.

The second issue of Automotive Traveler is due on May 16. In the meantime, I invite all of you who haven't checked out issue one, to take a look at it at:

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/magazine.php?mode=1

And keep an eye on the Automotive Traveler homepage for more images of Jay's Alpine, both with the Demon as well as some great tracking shots of it by itself, at speed.

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler
www.automotivetraveler.com

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Great photos!
Jay Thanks for making you and your Alpine available for the session.

Paul

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Makes a person think that perhaps Chrysler would have been better off to say "To Hell with it" and produce a DOT legal version of the Alpine. At least it would not look like every other car on the highway.

Bill
Oh, by the way. Great looking car, Jay.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow, how cool are those pictures!!! I love Richard's point too of how he ties them together. The similar bend to the top of the grilles makes a neat parallel - even if there was no intentional connection. And, at the time, we thought the colors were too far apart. But, now that I see them together on the screen, thoughts of Cal, UCLA, UofM all come to mind - maybe not a bad match after all! That said, perhaps credit for how good they look on screen goes to Richard who accomplished these great shots having to deal with two completely different lighting conditions in one image.