• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine marine heat exchanger

Paul N.

Donation Time
Wanted, part numbers 1217687 - the heat exchanger - and 1217698 - the cast elbow on the end:-

photobucket-1432-1342340909680.jpg

photobucket-7258-1342340812044.jpg

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, this and your sump post brings my two '60s hobbies into perilous synchronicity... What watercraft used the Alpine powerplant? And do you have one of them, or are you building the retro-Bond Submarine-Beam?

Paul N.

Donation Time
Rootes Marine (Tilling Stevens) sold a handful of Sunbeam Alpine Marine engines - 37 to Series II spec. and an unknown number to later spec.. Moonfleet marinised Rootes engines themselves and fitted them in the Silver Shadow and White Satan and Albatross marinised them themselves and fitted them in the Albatross Alpine and Corsair (the two-seater version of the Alpine). However, at least one Albatross Alpine still has original Alpine Marine components and one or two others almost certainly also did.

Albatross Alpine hull numbers start at 2000 (the prototype - which exists) and the highest number known is 2027. Thirteen of those are known to survive and I have 2002 and 2003.

The photos are of the Alpine Marine heat exchanger from 2003 which I'm currently restoring but 2002 has had a Ford 1600 crossflow fitted so I need to build up a replica Alpine Marine engine.

2003 before purchase:-

Picture118reduced.jpg

2002 being "rescued":-

photobucket-1226-1338494832683.jpg

photobucket-3178-1338494854728.jpg

2000:-

P10005631.jpg

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I've come across a few ads for the marine version of the Alpine engine but never a photo. Thanks for posting all the details. It looks very sleek in the water!

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
A bit reminiscent of the Harrington LeMans profile. (Perhaps "Herrington" would be a better name.) :)
Very nice examples, and worthy of a Husky or Commer Fun Wagon tow vehicle.

Thanks for the pics, too...

Paul N.

Donation Time
Ken, I think you could only ever tow an Albatross Alpine with a Sunbeam Alpine - and I know it was wrong of me to tow one of mine with an MG ZT-T.

RootesRooter: where have you seen adverts for the Alpine Marine engine? Do you mean period adverts from when Rootes sold them or recent adverts from people with them for sale? Somewhere there's one in an edition of The Alpine Horn from back when I was Editor but it was copied from the Rootes Group Car Register of Belgium magazine. I'd love to find an old boating magazine with one in and, even better, to find an original engine.

By the way, Rootes also made SuperSnipe Marine engines.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, I think you could only ever tow an Albatross Alpine with a Sunbeam Alpine ...

Must see a photo of this, if it ever comes to be... An Alpine towing an Albatross Alpine... that would be special.

Now, if you've got the whole thing riding on the back of a Commer CA carrier you'll have the full set. ;)

rootescommermaxiload.jpg

RootesRooter

Donation Time
RootesRooter: where have you seen adverts for the Alpine Marine engine? Do you mean period adverts from when Rootes sold them or recent adverts from people with them for sale? Somewhere there's one in an edition of The Alpine Horn from back when I was Editor but it was copied from the Rootes Group Car Register of Belgium magazine. I'd love to find an old boating magazine with one in and, even better, to find an original engine.

Probably period ads from Modern Motoring.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Rootes Marine (Perkins) 4.5 HP twin cylinder outboard I got from England a few years ago. Rootes bought out Perkins Marine in the UK to be able to sell their own line of rebadged outboards. I am making a repro of the original Rootes Marine logo that goes on the cowl. Here it is on the rear of a friend's Moke at a show, it got lots of attention! Anyone else have one or hear of one? Info is scarce about these...
Here is a link to some info http://www.pfs-ware.com/Pictures/oliver_viewer_submissions_page20.htm

Eric

Attachments

• Rootes outboard small.jpg
    Rootes outboard small.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 38

Paul N.

Donation Time
Brilliant stuff!!

The only Rootes Marine logo I've seen is the one on the Alpine Marine Parts List I have:-

Coverreduced.jpg

I'm happy to scan the better quality one on the inside pages if it'll help.

iainmac985

Donation Time
Brilliant stuff!!

The only Rootes Marine logo I've seen is the one on the Alpine Marine Parts List I have:-

Coverreduced.jpg

I'm happy to scan the better quality one on the inside pages if it'll help.
Sorry for the bump on this ancient post but I am wondering if you still have this manual and if so would I be able to have a copy

We have one of these engines in our boat and it’s proving impossible to find a copy of this manual