• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Innovations Weber Carb Conversion

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey all

I don't post very often and I guess I can't put anything in the "Stock" Alpine thread anymore. After years of unreliability and below average performance I finally bit the bullet and purchased the full curved manifold, Weber carb, and K&N filter conversion kit from Jerome at Alpine Innovations UK, to replace my twin Zenith 36WIP setup. I had wanted to keep the car as original as possible but after spending a small fortune having the Zeniths professionally rebuilt they still ran poorly. I'm sure other people have a different experience with them but I had lost all confidence and wanted to enjoy driving a reliable car again.

Jerome was excellent to work with. The kit was I'd say fairly complex to install but what a huge difference it has made. I've put about 100 miles on the car since the install, all the issues I had previously have completely gone, and the car performs better than ever. Although I am still a purist at heart I highly recommend this upgrade/conversion for anyone struggling to keep their car running smoothly and reliably.

It's been 5 years since we last had the car at a show (2019 Tartan Day South in Columbia SC). I hope to see you on the road or at an event in or near Central Florida soon.

Attachments

• carbs2.JPEG
    carbs2.JPEG
    782 KB · Views: 55
  • carbs5.JPEG
    carbs5.JPEG
    676.5 KB · Views: 50
  • carbs10.jpg
    carbs10.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 53
  • carbs11.jpg
    carbs11.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 53
  • carbs15.jpg
    carbs15.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • carbs16.jpg
    carbs16.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 58
  • carbs0.jpg
    carbs0.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too have recently converted to the AI carb & manifold, and will heartily agree with 63alpine. Jerome is outstanding, and my ‘67 has never run better under my ownership.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't feel bad... I spent literally YEARS trying to get my Zenith-Strombergs to work properly, and I should know how to do it - I've had 4 decades of British tuning under my belt... but I could never get them to run properly either. Heck, I even bought brand new ones in the UK when I was working over there and they were still available new... I installed those, and it STILL ran like a pig. So, yeah... they're crap. Jerome's setup is first rate, so drive it and be happy.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
65+ year old Zenith carbs, what's not to like? (try to keep the list limited)

I have been dealing with them for decades also.

I have had reasonable success with those carbs.

BUT, if you really want your Alpine to run good,

consider these AI parts.

For a more Performance oriented Alpine, I would suggest a Weber 38/38 DGAS type

carb to go on the AI intake.

DW

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have the AI conversion on two of our Alpines. I cannot fault the set up, it is better in every way and is so much more economical that it pays for itself amazingly quickly.
Tim R

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
DW, I totally agree. Hopefully, when I get to the Dyno tests that I want to do for my numbers matching Harrington Le Mans engine. The comparison between 32/36 and 38/38 will become more enlightened. By the seat of the pants I would say, "Yes" to the 38/38. Getting such a setup would require having Jerome provide a 38/38 with the intake or just obtain the intake manifold and purchase a 38/38 from numerous sources online.
Note: One can use the original Rootes single Solex downdraft manifold.

I had a great conversation with Jerome two summers (2022) ago at the Sunbeam spares meet (swap meet).1710517045813.png1710517045813.png

Last edited:

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed the Pierce manifold on my Weber and plumbed my air duct the same way as the photos above and my carb is acting like its starving for air. If I was trying to give the car any more over 1/3 throttle it would stumble all over its self.

I did a little bit of process of elimination. Running the car with the manifold installed without any air duct hooked up, it ran as if I had the regular weber air cleaner installed. As soon as I hooked up the 3" air duct with K&N filter the car would stumble on throttle.

Anyone else running this set up have issues?

DAVID LAWLER

Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed the Pierce manifold on my Weber and plumbed my air duct the same way as the photos above and my carb is acting like its starving for air. If I was trying to give the car any more over 1/3 throttle it would stumble all over its self.

I did a little bit of process of elimination. Running the car with the manifold installed without any air duct hooked up, it ran as if I had the regular weber air cleaner installed. As soon as I hooked up the 3" air duct with K&N filter the car would stumble on throttle.

Anyone else running this set up have issues?
Cade,

I am in the process of installing the exact same set up with the remote air duct and filter in my Series IV. Unfortunately this car has only run once earlier this year for about a minute and for the first time in 40 years. Then it was on a separate gas tank and a pair of Strombergs. The intervening time has been spent on getting everything else in good operational condition. If the Sunbeams Gods are with me, I expect to have this set up in proper operation by the end of the month and will let you know what I find out. It certainly appears to be an excellent set up. Please keep reporting any thing else that you find relevant to the operation.

Dave Lawler

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
What is the big difference between this manifold and the popular S4 that many have used with Weber 32/36?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This manifold greatly reduces the condensation of the gasoline and resulting erratic running inherent in the other manifolds, and consequently increases the performance and economy in good measure.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin,

Just for clarity, are you commenting on the "A-I" manifold or the different "Pierce" manifold set-up mxp01 asked about in post #9?

Just curious,
The Pierce... as well as all the similar Rootes 'log' manifolds. They simply don't work, IMHO.

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I chimed in on this thread I was talking about the Pierce manifold that sits on top of the weber and allows for pipe to be duct to the front of the car to grab cooler air.

As for the manifold in the link above. I do have that installed and I don't have any complaints. By inspecting spark plugs it does not appear that I have any cylinders running leaner or richer than another. So I wouldn't say it doesn't work.

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think what made me finally decide to switch was the number of different manifold/carb combinations Rootes tried over the years. I don’t think they ever got it right. Originally is important in preserving our cars but I believe this is where Rootes would have gone with more development. My car is starting and running better than ever so I can now enjoy driving the pants off it again. That’s the most important thing to me.