• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Engine Bay to Scan

tigretr

Donation Time
Hi all,
I was wondering if there is anyone in the San Francisco bay area that has an Alpine sitting around without a motor in it. I am looking to 3D scan it so I can start fitting my new motor in CAD.. I am not quite ready to pull my existing motor yet but the rear main seal is proving to be a royal PITA!

Brian

Reactions: JWP

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you contacted sunbeam specialties?
they should have a pretty good handle on where the bodies are buried in the Bay area. ... :)
And or they would know who would know.
Depending on how far you would be willing to travel.

tigretr

Donation Time
Funny you should mention that. For some reason hitting send or submit gets the neurons firing and calling them occurred to me too. The new owners apparently do have some at their house. They will call me back tomorrow to confirm they have one without an engine. Their house is only 45 minutes away. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brian

Asm109

Donation Time
What file format will the scans be in? I am planning to put a Miata engine in an Alpine and a CAD model would be extremely helpful.
I would be willing to kick in some coin to help with this effort.

tigretr

Donation Time
The scans are either 3MF, OBJ, or STL. Since they are meshed scans, you won't be able to open them in Solidworks because it can only handle a maximum of 20k triangles in a mesh. To get any real granularity, the models are meshed with about a bazillion triangles. I use Fusion360 to open and modify the models but there may be other CAD software out there that can handle it as well. I appreciate the $$ offer, but since I am still learning this process, it isn't worth me trying to recoup any costs of the scanner. I see it as an expense of the hobby! My motor scan came out exceptionally well and I am starting to put useful axis and planes into the model so I can align it with the engine bay scan. I will keep you posted once I have the scans ready to distribute (assuming I can make it work).

Attachments

• Scanned Motor Image Front.png
    Scanned Motor Image Front.png
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • Scanned Motor Image.png
    Scanned Motor Image.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

JWP

Gold Level Sponsor
The scans are either 3MF, OBJ, or STL. Since they are meshed scans, you won't be able to open them in Solidworks because it can only handle a maximum of 20k triangles in a mesh. To get any real granularity, the models are meshed with about a bazillion triangles. I use Fusion360 to open and modify the models but there may be other CAD software out there that can handle it as well. I appreciate the $$ offer, but since I am still learning this process, it isn't worth me trying to recoup any costs of the scanner. I see it as an expense of the hobby! My motor scan came out exceptionally well and I am starting to put useful axis and planes into the model so I can align it with the engine bay scan. I will keep you posted once I have the scans ready to distribute (assuming I can make it work).
I would also be interested in the results / scans.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Obj can be edited in rhino and 3dmax...but rhino is better for accurate modelling

tigretr

Donation Time
I did my first scan of an Alpine engine bay over the weekend and it turned out pretty nice. Working on some post processing and trying to improve alignment with a coordinate system to ease integration with other parts. I am also playing around with overlaying it with a scan of the bottomside of my car. Once I have something worth sharing I will update the thread.

tigretr

Donation Time
I made a lot of progress scanning various cars and parts over the past week. I positioned it all in Fusion360 and fitted the new motor. It will fit which is super exciting. And by fit, I mean I won't protrude through the hood or drag the oil pan on the street. OK, the pan may be closer than I wanted but it is only 1.25" lower than my current pan which sits about an inch below the bottom of the front cross member (the Ferrari motor holds 11 quarts of oil!). Definitely going to need to protect it, but overall, I am super excited (and relieved). There are still an endless number of details to work out, but the single biggest hurdle is behind me. Everything else is negotiable. I will start a new thread on the car build shortly, but figured since this thread was about scanning, I would share my results. One thing I still need to sort out is, since the scans are not closed bodies I can't really add (extrude) to the models or cut material away. I also can't convert them to surfaces. They are mostly just there and valuable for fitting things, but not so much for building 3D models on. Still trying to sort that part out. Also, dark shiny surfaces don't scan. You can see the hood scan below. I taped a bed sheet tightly onto my hood so I could scan it. Placed washers on top of that to help with tracking. In the end it got me the data I needed.

Attachments

• Ferrari in Alpine.png
    Ferrari in Alpine.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Firewall_View.png
    Firewall_View.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Front_View_with_Crossection.png
    Front_View_with_Crossection.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • Hood_Closed.png
    Hood_Closed.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • No_Hood.png
    No_Hood.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 27

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
I've spent some time drawing my chassis redo, and used a couple scans with the lidar feature on my iPhone. I find the scans to be a bit clumsy, and as you say they're just a mesh of polygons, not a surface that my cad software can do anything useful with. As I understand the current game, if you're wanting to use the scans for body/sheetmetal manipulation, you need to find a scanner that has outputs you can work with - so that it outputs a cad surface, rather than just spitting out a point-cloud or such. That obviously isn't free, so you got to really want that feature to justify buying a scanner that does that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.jpg
    Screenshot 1.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 10

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
What file format will the scans be in? I am planning to put a Miata engine in an Alpine and a CAD model would be extremely helpful.
I would be willing to kick in some coin to help with this effort.
What Miata motor are you going with, I installed a 1.6 into my series 2 and it fits great.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I made a lot of progress scanning various cars and parts over the past week. I positioned it all in Fusion360 and fitted the new motor. It will fit which is super exciting. And by fit, I mean I won't protrude through the hood or drag the oil pan on the street. OK, the pan may be closer than I wanted but it is only 1.25" lower than my current pan which sits about an inch below the bottom of the front cross member (the Ferrari motor holds 11 quarts of oil!). Definitely going to need to protect it, but overall, I am super excited (and relieved). There are still an endless number of details to work out, but the single biggest hurdle is behind me. Everything else is negotiable. I will start a new thread on the car build shortly, but figured since this thread was about scanning, I would share my results. One thing I still need to sort out is, since the scans are not closed bodies I can't really add (extrude) to the models or cut material away. I also can't convert them to surfaces. They are mostly just there and valuable for fitting things, but not so much for building 3D models on. Still trying to sort that part out. Also, dark shiny surfaces don't scan. You can see the hood scan below. I taped a bed sheet tightly onto my hood so I could scan it. Placed washers on top of that to help with tracking. In the end it got me the data I needed.
How will you do the steering, it looks like the motor is in the way from the firewall to crossmember?

tigretr

Donation Time
Yes, like I said, there are still a great many challenges ahead of me on this build. Steering is the next big one to sort out. The cylinder head covers 80% of the hole where the column used to exit. Probably use a very short custom column with linkage to get to the rack and pinion. Based on the CAD, it looks like I can still utilize the OEM power steering pump which is very nice. However if it turns out to block access to the rack, I might need to go the electric assist path using a Toyota Prius steering column.

Last edited: