• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Disc brake caliper piston diameter

Asm109

Donation Time
What is the diameter of the pistons in a stock caliper?
I am doing some bigger brake noodling and I would like to start from a good baseline.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In my opinion the Alpine disc for the front brake is an excellent system.

Just add rear disc

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the diameter of the pistons in a stock caliper?
I am doing some bigger brake noodling and I would like to start from a good baseline.

The factory disc brake caliper piston diameter for all Series Alpines (and Tigers) is 2.125".

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad to help. You may already know, but the primary limitation for the front brakes on a Series Alpine (or Tiger) is the wheel diameter.

Asm109

Donation Time
I know, my solution for grip on the Tiger is Toyo Proxes in 205/60-13 That works for me because the Tiger is a fair weather use only toy. For the Alpine I want a more general purpose solution, thinking 15 inch tires, maybe 16.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will not say the 16" want work, But, Beware, of the many different clearance obstacles you will encounter.

I like P195 55 15 on 7" rims for my Blue Boy V6...... Nice handling, great ride and NO Clearance problems

Asm109

Donation Time
On a 7 inch rim, I would consider a 205 50 15. There are super grippy tires in that size, not good for below freezing but I don't wanna be in a convertible in those temps either.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will not say the 16" want work, But, Beware, of the many different clearance obstacles you will encounter.

I like P195 55 15 on 7" rims for my Blue Boy V6...... Nice handling, great ride and NO Clearance problems

With the same tire section width, tire overall diameter, wheel width and wheel offset, a 16" wheel / tire has the same clearance issues as a 15" wheel / tire.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
On a 7 inch rim, I would consider a 205 50 15. There are super grippy tires in that size, not good for below freezing but I don't wanna be in a convertible in those temps either.

Agree about a 205 (or even 215) tire section width being a better fitment for a 7" wide wheel than a 195.

The problem with anything wider than about a 195 section width tire is the lack of room under the Series Alpine (and Tiger) fenders. The wheel offset has to be "just right" to prevent rubbing at the rear and to keep the wheel / tire under the fender at the front.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running 15x6, 185/55/15 on front. 15x7, 205/50/15 on back, this gives me the same size tire overall diameter front and rear. I have plenty of room for the Mazda RX7 rear disc brakes.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Proper inflated tires are a must. ANd it is not a good idea to sit still and crank on the steering back and forth.....