• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine building Weather

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The view out our front door:

I think I have discovered why so many of the Canadian cars look great. Lots of build time available!

Unfortunately, no building today. I almost decapitated a knuckle last week. Thought it was healed pretty good but busted it open last night. Hurts worse today than it did right after I messed it up.

Gotta wait a bit longer. Weather Service calls for snow turning to blowing snow with 1-3" (honest) total accumulation. I'd guess it is 3-4" right now. It's gonna be fun!

Bill

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Where's the Alpine?

Mr Bill, Lovely Snowy picture, but can't see the Alpine!;)

DanR

P.S. Sorry about the knuckle. My fingers are raw from metal work.

But, the pleasure of the work when complete pays off (if all joints are still available).

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, you seem to misunderstand. Even though us northern boys are very tough and resilient, we are not stupid and work in the snow only when our Chevies breakdown in nasty weather. Fortunately, I do not own a Chevy.

The Alpine is tucked securely away in the 65* basement, awaiting my return.

Bill

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My mistake Bill!

Must have had Chevy's on my mind....

Bad thoughts,

DanR

afc742

Donation Time
Mr. Bill
I remember living in Indiana during the blizzard of 78, several feet of snow. Was you in Indiana during that time?
Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mr. Bill
I remember living in Indiana during the blizzard of 78, several feet of snow. Was you in Indiana during that time?
Tom

Sure was. We had moved up from Florida about a year earlier. Had a baby, about 6 months old, was very concerned about losing power. Soon after we had a camp stove and a couple more lamps!

At the time, my grandfather was 93 years old. He said he had seen some storms, but that beat them all. The driveway between our house and the next door house (shared driveway) had snow in it about 10 feet deep. I remember that the afternoon was very nice, sunny, temps in the high 40's, snow was melting rapidly. At midnight I heard the wind howling, looked out the window into a church parking lot. They had a security light - the blowing snow looked like something you'd expect to see at the South Pole.

The next day our neighbor drove into town. All roads, including the Interstate, were at best barely passable, but he needed cigarettes. I don't think we got out for 3 days.

Bill

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
It's the perfect time to start working on my Alpine, but unfortunately my garage is very small and kinda packed with everything put up for the winter. For now, I'm just ordering parts I need and getting a good game plan on how I'm gonna tackle the 302 for it as soon as I can clear some stuff out of my way. And hey now, my other car I fixed up is a Corvette, and it's never given me a single problem... Haha.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Phone message from a friend in N. Dakota:

"Minus 28 yesterday with a 20-30 mph N.E. wind, wind chill factor minus 40. Bill just stands at the kitchen window all day, staring. I suppose I'll have to let the drunken bum in before it gets dark."