• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine 5 clutch problem

RootesRooter

Donation Time
...It's moving the arm in the slave about 1-1 1/2 inches...

That sounds like normal throw, certainly enough to make the clutch disengage.

RootesRich

Donation Time
One thing we realized is that we did replace the Pressure Plate ( thank you to Rick Vose). Any chance it could be the wrong one? Would this cause me not getting it into gear?

Yes and yes.
1 1/2" of throw at the slave should move the pressure plate enough to release the clutch disc so you can change gears.

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
Clutch disc is in correctly as it's marked on the disc. I/we believe that i might have the wrong pressure plate. Would like to know if that sounds right? If so where might I get one?
DeRo

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Could have the wrong TO fork pedestal in the bellhousing for that clutch, but if the clutch has the holes in the right locations, its probably correct at least for that flywheel.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Clutch disc is in correctly as it's marked on the disc. I/we believe that i might have the wrong pressure plate. Would like to know if that sounds right? If so where might I get one?
DeRo

Since the pressure plate is new, where did it come from?
I'd check with SS and CS to see if they have any, but last I heard supply was short.

65beam

Donation Time
problem

check the height of the old pressure plate versus the height of the new plate. if the new pressure plate is shorter then you need a taller pedestal for the throwout bearing or go back to using your old pressure plate. what was your reason for changing the clutch?

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
We rebuilt the whole car including the engine. Figured it was worth replaceing clutch. Just screwed up on the pressure plate. Live and learn!
Now I get to go find one!!
DeRo

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just note if you can not find a clutch pack for Alpine V, change out your flywheel to a Alpine 1, II, III bolts on no modes. Then you can use a lot of clutch cross overs like MG, Volvo anyway you can still get these items.:cool: the clutch size will go up to as large as 8 1/2 inch from the 7 1/2 you have now.

Last edited: