• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine 5 clutch problem

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
I installed a new clutch plate and release bearing. I am having a problem with the car getting into gear especially reverse. it seems to be from the master/slave not moving the release bearing far enough? Could I have the wrong clutch plate? I have blead the system and have the slave back in the trans.
DeRo

Derek

Donation Time
A common re assembly error is to put the slave back on the wrong side of the bell housing making the throw too short...I hope it is this simple for you

Derek

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I installed a new clutch plate and release bearing. I am having a problem with the car getting into gear especially reverse. it seems to be from the master/slave not moving the release bearing far enough? Could I have the wrong clutch plate? I have blead the system and have the slave back in the trans.
DeRo

Did you get a new clutch plate? Where did you get it? The Series V stuff might be a little different than earlier series stuff. I'm pretty sure the disk is smaller diameter.

I'm assuming everything worked fine before changing the clutch, did it?. Did you keep all of the same parts, such as the release rod, clutch withdrawal lever and the pedestal it pivots on? These differ between early and late series too.

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes i got a new clutch plate 7 1/2 inch from England (NOS). 10 spline. i bought a new release bearing from SS. these are the only things I replaced. It worked fine for the last 20 years. Feels like I'm not getting enough pressure on the clutch pedal. It's moving the arm in the slave about 1-1 1/2 inches.
DeRo

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
See if you put the slave on the back side of the bell housing? Do not bolt it on the front side it will be short in throw....

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
No I have the slave on the back side of the trans closest to the arm for the trans. Was thinking of putting spacer. I have the trans out and am considering on buying new clutch plate?

mattinoz

Donation Time
There is correct way to install the clutch plate. Is it possible it's installed the wrong way round? Not helpful i know as the only way to know for sure is the pull it again:eek:

JonPiz

Donation Time
re clutch

If you are not loosing fluid then I reckon its your master cylinder thats the problem. Worth trying a new set of seals

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have replace all the seals in both the master and slave. We did find a slight crack in the screw on lid of the master. Will replace that next. I have another master and we cleaned it out and redid the seals. how is a good way to bench test the master?
Dero

RootesRich

Donation Time
Did you replace the pressure plate as well? I suspect this, not your disc, may be your issue.
What type of release bearing did you install (carbon ring or roller)?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have found that if you have a clutch return spring that it pulls the slave in more than it should on its own and reduce the amount of travel the master will push it (short stroke).

See if you have a spring and if so remove it to see if it helps.

It shouldnt need a spring since the clutch returns the slave.

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
I did not replace the pressure plate. It appears to look fine. As for the release bearing i believe its the ring? it was from Sunbeam Specialties so I assume it would be correct.

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
RootesRacer. Are you referring to the spring under the dash on the clutch pedal or the on in the slave?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I bring up the spring removal becuase it bit me in the butt years ago.

I wasnt able to get the trans into any gear and there was nothing wrong with anything else (fully bled, good clutch, new TO bearing ETC).
After removing the spring, all was well with the universe and I have had that clutch, TO, master slave combo running for close to 15 years now.

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you are speaking on the spring on the outside of the transmisson that I have seen on early model no I do not have that. If you are referring to the spring inside the slave then yes I have on of those. But I think it would help push the slave out into the rod?
DeRo

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If you are speaking on the spring on the outside of the transmisson that I have seen on early model no I do not have that. If you are referring to the spring inside the slave then yes I have on of those. But I think it would help push the slave out into the rod?
DeRo

Talking about the external spring.
It was shown on the early WSM and installed probably to at least SII.
Some have added them on in error based on the picture in the WSM.

I would have someone depress the clutch for you while you scope from underneath.

You want to identify the point where the TO contacts the clutch cover thrust disc.
After you release the clutch, the TO arm shouldnt move much backward or else you are loosing precious slave stroke and the "auto" adjustment feature is not really functioning.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
How is the clutch action when not changing gears (when you actually get it in gear), just regular clutch action from a stop? Does it drag with the clutch pedal pushed in? When you go to release the clutch how much travel to you have before it grabs and the car starts moving?

I would think if you're not getting enough travel to allow gear changes you would have little if any movement before it grabs.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you say you have the tranny pulled now? Then confirm that you installed the clutch disk properly, with the shallower side of the hub facing the flywheel.

Also try pumping the clutch several times to see if that helps. If so then there is something wrong in the hydraulics.

Tom

DeRo

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just left the shop and I think I have everyone in North America trying to figure this out. One thing we realized is that we did replace the Pressure Plate ( thank you to Rick Vose). Any chance it could be the wrong one? Would this cause me not getting it into gear?
I have a guy coming to look at this tonight but I am open for comments.
Dero

Last edited: