• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alfa engine transplant?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
As most probably know, Rootes was exploring putting in an Alfa engine - before they went the Tiger route.

I think the Alfa engine is probably too high to fit without a hood modification.

Has anyone actually ever done it?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I did see something recently where someone in another country, probably England has an Alfa twin cam and transmission in an Alpine. I'll have to see what I can find, just don't remember where I saw it.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
To be clear, I love my Holbay engine and have no interest in changing. And certainly a Miata engine is better in many ways than just about any option out there.

This is just idle thoughts.

We do have an Alfa engine in our race car. So I was just thinking about the Alfa/Rootes story wondering if anyone ever did it. I have no plans.

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
It should fit easier than a Ford 260.I have a 1961 Guilietta 1300 engine in my garage and overall it is shorter than the 1725 Alpine engine.The 1600cc Alfa engine has 0.28"greater stroke than the 1300 so it would still be shorter than the Alpine engine.I don't know about the 1750 Alfa(it would not of been available in the early '60's for Rootes to even consider).
Tell us about your race car with the Alfa engine?

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
We have a 1962 Elva MkVI (tube frame, GRP body, of Elvis Presley fame in Viva Las Vegas) with a mid engine 1300cc Veloce engine (101 head with 105 block) with Hewland transaxle. We have been restoring it for the last 4 years, though COVID, which really delayed a lot of work we needed others to do for us. It's now finally getting put together. Should be race ready by spring. But that's a car for a different bbs!

1696987582666.png

alpine_64

Donation Time
To be clear, I love my Holbay engine and have no interest in changing. And certainly a Miata engine is better in many ways than just about any option out there.

This is just idle thoughts.

We do have an Alfa engine in our race car. So I was just thinking about the Alfa/Rootes story wondering if anyone ever did it. I have no plans.
Don't know of an Alfa/ rootes story... There was the rootes Ferrari approach about maybe doing a head conversion for the alpine... and if you look at the ASA that used a Ferrari engineered 4,cyl and rootes trans...you can see the possibility there.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ahh. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy. Yes, I remember it as a friendship between Ferrari and Rootes. My memory was that it would provide the Alfa engine. But as I look now, it seems perhaps Alfa was not related to Ferrari back in the early 60s. Unless they were, but just not on paper. I don't remember where I saw this information. I believe in more than one of the Sunbeam history books I have. I'll have to dig them up.

SplatWorldwide

Donation Time
I share my shop space with an Alfisti. Among the 1600, 1750 and 2L motors that I've seen none of them look like they'd be an easy fit in an Alpine. The side draft carbs would probably be pretty tight against the fender wall and wide oil pans would definitely pose a challenge with the stock crossmember.

IMG_0281.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ahh. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy. Yes, I remember it as a friendship between Ferrari and Rootes. My memory was that it would provide the Alfa engine. But as I look now, it seems perhaps Alfa was not related to Ferrari back in the early 60s. Unless they were, but just not on paper. I don't remember where I saw this information. I believe in more than one of the Sunbeam history books I have. I'll have to dig them up.
Alfa and Ferrari definately had no relationship.. Alfa was independent then.. not part of the fiat group.. even Ferrari was still a year or so away from being taken under fiat.