• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A rare Rootes color?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Today I finally made a trip to visit DanR and to see his Sunbeam garage and cars! His V-6 car is really coming along and will be a great car when he gets done with it. He has come up with some new ideas to route the exhaust system neatly under the car so he won't have to worry about ripping it loose going over speed bumps. He also showed me his S4 that is paint code 70-Maroon. I can't ever remember seeing a Sunbeam painted that color before and I looked at the SN plate to verify the number 70. Anyone else have a car painted that color? Thanks for showing me around Dan! I learned a lot. And you learned about factory alloy MGB hardtops too! Eric

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Eric, I certainly enjoyed the "short" visit. Maybe next time we can spend a bit more time together.

Thanks for the complements on my SIV Color Code 70 and on my '65 GT V6 conversion.

I'm slow going but hopefully I'll get her done.

As to the MG Hard Top I sure did not know what it was. Thanks for that tip also. And all the time I thought it was fiber glass.

Guess I'll have to find a buyer Huh?

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Singer Gazelles were available in Maroon and Cavalry Beige and I know of a Rapier that was painted to special order in those colours together with matching interior. I have never seen a maroon Alpine but Rootes were apparently willing to do this providing that their stock colours were chosen.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tony, Thanks to Eric for mentioning my late series IV '65 Alpine color code 70.

I think it must have been a very pretty color when new. It is faded and dull now! Mainly because it has been in storage for more than 25 years.

My plans are to restore it to the original 70 color. I will attempt to get a chip from our Forum Paint Man soon.

Probably need to get one for my early series IV '65 GT color code 39 also. It will be getting the paint treatment one of these days.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
#70 Maroon

Eric,
I see number 70 on my Rootes color chip chart, and I see its a little darker than Pippen Red (#26). It looks pretty nice.
Jan
(Dan, I could get you close to my Rootes Dealer color chip chart)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tony, Thanks to Eric for mentioning my late series IV '65 Alpine color code 70.

I think it must have been a very pretty color when new. It is faded and dull now! Mainly because it has been in storage for more than 25 years.

My plans are to restore it to the original 70 color. I will attempt to get a chip from our Forum Paint Man soon.

Probably need to get one for my early series IV '65 GT color code 39 also. It will be getting the paint treatment one of these days.

Dan, did you check the backside of the hood latch panel?

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, It's never been apart! As a matter of fact none of the car has ever had anything taken off or removed except the PO replaced a caliper and a gas tank. I just reecently pulled the radio and console out in order to determine some connections that I was trying to make on my Commodore Blue.

That is a great idea to fine "what the original" looked like!

I'll give that a try. AND

If jumpinjan could get me his Rootes Dealer color chip chart(#70 Maroon) I'd be obliged.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, the hood latch plate is painted the body color. As yours has never been removed, the backside is in pristine condition. Clean it up with a little polish and you'll have a perfect paint chip that has not seen the light of day for 50 years.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill, I'm tempted to venture out into the 30 degree weather and have a look. With the wind here today it reminds me of Minot ND 68-72.

On second thought I think I'll wait til spring.;)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
tony,

I received a post from you via the Forum that reads as follows:

This thread is located at:

http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21239&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

This pic shows a Singer Gazelle in the Rootes Paint Code 70.Image: http://6159418854_89a6ec6ce5_o

However when I when back to the Forum it was not listed under the heading: "A rare Rootes Color".

On top of that I could not get the "linK" you posted for the Gazelle to open.

Can you resend or repost or what ever needed to do in order for me to see the PIC?

Thanks,

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill, It's never been apart! As a matter of fact none of the car has ever had anything taken off or removed except the PO replaced a caliper and a gas tank. I just reecently pulled the radio and console out in order to determine some connections that I was trying to make on my Commodore Blue.

That is a great idea to fine "what the original" looked like!

I'll give that a try. AND

If jumpinjan could get me his Rootes Dealer color chip chart(#70 Maroon) I'd be obliged.

Dan, I have one of those faded color chip charts that that I'll bring to you next week to compare to the factory new example you have under your hood latch plate that hopefully belongs with jan's correct paint samples. I already have jan's cds for my cars colors plus the wheel color.

Whoever ordered your Series IV seems to have spent some time with the dealer. They chose an optional color that probably wasn't in dealer inventory and also added the factory radio and console and probably other options as well.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I knew the guy! Prior AF.

Might have bought the car in Charleston, SC?

It included the Overdrive and Hard Top too!

Looking forward to the visit.