• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A Question for the Chemists: Rust removal and motor oil

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just scored a great deal on an aluminum GT oil pan. I'm not bragging, although it is tempting, but have a question on the best way to store it until I need it. The pan itself is in terrific shape - it must have been cleaned fairly well before being thrown up in an attic for 20+ years. The oil baffle is fine, but rusty. I'd like to remove that rust before storing it myself. I could sand blast it and coat it with oil, but that would be relatively time consuming as I have a fairly fine glass beads in my blast cabinet. I was thinking about just throwing it in the electrolytic rust removal tub I made a few years ago. That would be very easy and convert the rust to whatever it is that the process converts the rust to, which I believe would also prevent further rusting. But, I'm not sure whether or not it will be safe to have it then sitting in fresh motor oil, especially considering that the pan will probably go on to a fresh engine at some point. I know we have several chemists in the club. What say you? Any better ideas?

Thanks.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'm no chemist, but I play one on TV.:D

You cant electrochemically treat the steel when its attached to the aluminum, what comes off of the steel will plate the aluminum and vice-versa.

The baffle is easily removed, just remove it and knock the rust off with a wire wheel or equiv, clean it and put a coat of oil on it for its next sleep.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Most rust removers contain chemicals (e.g. phosphoric acid) that will play havoc with aluminum. If it were mine I'd coat the steel parts in vaseline and store it in a dry area. The aluminum won't rust in normal atmosphere, as the moment the bare metal is exposed it immediately coats itself with aluminum oxide, an extremely hard and resistant compound (chemically identical to ruby, emerald and emory.)