• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A new way to end it all

Nickodell

Donation Time
A favorite way Brits "end it all" is by suicide leaps. Beachey Head, Sussex, near where my sister lives, is a 600-foot high cliff overlooking the English Channel, and a favorite spot. Over the years, people have either simply leaped off, but scores have done it in style, riding over the edge on bicycles or at high speed on motorcycles and driving over in cars and a wide variety of other vehicles, including at least one in an ice cream truck, the bell jingling on the way down.

Jimi Heselden, 62, the wealthy British owner of the Segway company, just introduced a new way, by driving one of his own 2-wheel machines off a cliff in Yorkshire, northern England.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ironically, he was driving an 'off-road' model... little did he know just how 'off-road' it would be!

wipeout

Donation Time
The report I heard was that it was an accident and the cliff was only 30 feet high. Still a bit of irony in it. He had just given 16 million to his favorite charity.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Report on the news was that it went out of control and went over the cliff. Problem I have with that is, why not just step off?? They're not that fast and nothing holds you on so I figure it had to either have been a surprise, like driving in an area where the ground perhaps slipped away, or deliberate.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Report on the news was that it went out of control and went over the cliff. Problem I have with that is, why not just step off?? They're not that fast and nothing holds you on so I figure it had to either have been a surprise, like driving in an area where the ground perhaps slipped away, or deliberate.

Maybe Toyota makes the controls :D