• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A Murphy's Law Story... with a Sunny Ending!

Mark T

Donation Time
When I bought Sunny this spring I was disappointed in the performance that I was getting out of the V6 and C4 automatic tranny. My plan was to drive her for a couple of years and then look at putting a T5 standard tranny in her. Unfortunately she had other ideas and her rebuilt engine with 20,000 miles on it blew up in June (a whole 1,000 miles after I bought her!). No sense in pulling engine to rebuild it and then turning around and pulling it again in a couple of years so I decided to attach a 1997 American transmission to a 1978 German engine and put them into a 1964 British car... all in 6 weeks so that I could drive her to Tipp City for Invasion. What could be easier? Brokering peace in the Mideast comes to mind! :eek:

This was definitely a case of if anything could go wrong then it would. First the guy who was going to get me the tranny, bellhousing, flywheel and clutch called me the day before I was to pick them up from him to say that he had changed his mind. :mad: Eight hours of internet searches and phone calls and I had found what I needed. Then a wrecking yard in Maine sent me the wrong bellhousing. At least they found me the correct one in Colorado... for only $35 too. Then I found out that only 0.2 inches of the T5 tranny input shaft would reach into the bronze bushing that I had made to act as a pilot bearing. Had to design a pilot bearing adapter to fit into the flywheel. It worked perfectly... and I really liked the idea of using a needle bearing instead off a bushing anyway. Meanwhile, the rebuild on the engine is progressing a little behind schedule, but still a chance to have the engine in time for Invasion... until we find out a week before Invasion that the stock valve springs won't work, and it's going to take a week to get the Comp Cams springs that we need. So much for driving Sunny to Invasion... but even without her it was an AWESOME experiece!!! Thanks again to the organizers!!! It was PERFECT (except for the fact that Sunny wasn't there!)

So back from Invasion, put the engine and tranny in the car and the new 0.700" clutch master cylinder isn't big enough the disengage the clutch. New 1" master from Summit and the clutch works great! Try to start the engine and it backfires. Distributor is out 180 degrees. Fifty-fifty chance of getting it right and guess what... Rotate dizzy 180 degrees and start engine. It runs, but won't idle. Check for vacuum leaks and try adjusting carb but to no avail. Then there's a bang in the engine? :confused: Pull driverside valve cover and a rocker has seized and bent it's pushrod. Thankfully it didn't break the valve! No oil getting to the rockers. Out comes the engine and back to the machine shop.

One cam bearing is slightly out of position and covers half of the oil passage hole. Also, the holes don't line up perfectly with the grooves in the cam journals. Drill out the bearing, widen the grooves on the cam, put the engine back together, reinstall it in the car and... the dizzy is out 180 degrees again! Murphy's Law! Rotate dizzy and fire engine and... of course it still won't idle. When the RPMs drop below 1400 the engine falls flat on it's face. Sounds like a vacuum leak except that it's burning our eyes out while we're working on it so it's got to be running rich. If there was a vacuum leak then you would expect it to run lean.

Head machinist at machine shop uses the Holley 390 on his Jeep and when I tell him that the car backfired when we first tried to start it he says that the power valve is probably toast. Changed the power valve and it still won't work so he tells me to bring him the carb. He tears it down and the casting on the bottom of the body is brutal. Send pictures to Holley Tech Services and they say it's a defective casting and to send it back to JEGS for a replacement. Adjust new carb this afternoon and... lumpity lumpity lump at 800 RPM! All ready for Invasion 2008!!

I'd like to send out a big THANK YOU to all of the members of the club who have helped me with this undertaking! I couldn't have done it without your help! It's been an unbelievable learning experience. Would I do it all again? In a heartbeat! And the heartbeat's a little quicker now when I'm behind the wheel! Can't wait til the engine's broken in! :D

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Congrat's Mark,
Your story inspires me to get off my whiney ass and get something done.
I got up at 4:30 this morning with the hopes of finishing my dad's car which has been a 4 year project. A little thing called life has gotten in the way as of late but I'm hoping that getting this car done will be a step in the right direction.
If I'm still alive when "Invasion 2008" arrives I hope to see you there.
Here's to hoping life and projects go well for all in the coming months!
Cheers!

dmich2

Donation Time
WOW Mark. I had no idea the Forum could accomadate such a lonnnnnnnnng post. :eek: LOL.

When we were putting Sweet Pea back together (by the way, she misses you and your gentle touch...:eek:) I had the same thing happen whereby no oil was getting to the valves on first start-up after my 2.8 rebuild. My mechanic immediately shut her down and began trying to figure out what was happening. Jose wrote me discribing how machine shops AND others do not install a certain part/gear backwards resulting in this no oil to the top of engine condition. We pulled the eng, sent it right back to the company that rebuilt it and lo and behold, they screwed up and installed the part incorrectly, just as Jose suggested. They not only made it right, but paid for the re-pulling of the engine, transporting both ways and re-install. They are a very respected outfit and will get by business again. Everyone can make a mistake. Thank God my mechanic took no chances and I had the Forum and Jose's experience to save me.

I know I'll see you at Invasion 2008. And look at it this way. You'll be parking with Vader and the 'Stormtroopers'. ;)

Dennis

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks guys! I know that it's quite a long post but as this project progressed people kept telling me that I should write a book... so I did! I even left out the part about spending $170 on an air breather system like yours Dennis only to find out that it wouldn't fit because of my stock distributor. I know that things happen for a reason and it sure did with the breather. A friend helped me with the car almost every night so I wanted to do something to thank him. He was looking for a new breather for his Monte Carlo and the K&N system fit perfectly. It even matched his paint! It also forced me to look around for a different air intake system and I found a snorkel that lets me draw cool air from just behind the grill.

Good luck with your Dad's car Jeff! Just think of the satisfaction you'll feel when it's finished. I've always believed that the longer the wait... the greater the sense of accomplishment!

Looking forward to seeing you both at Invasion 2008!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mark, I'm interested in the fact you had to use a 1" clutch MC. What is your slave cylinder setup?

Congratulations on getting it to the "driver" condition. Its simply incredible all the stuff that can bit you in the butt. Ask me how I know.

Bill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Mark, I've been meaning to PM you to see how things were going, but I've almost been afraid to! Sounds like it's all coming together.

Sam

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Bill! I bought the Wilwood 0.750" slave and 0.700" master cylinders but I lost too much travel in the slave.

Thanks Sam! It seemed like everytime that I posted something positive something else went wrong. I'm a little superstitious so I decided when I got back from Invasion that I wasn't going to post anything until she was on the road again. If I'd known that it was going to take over 2 months...

jzuk7

Donation Time
WOW Mark. I had no idea the Forum could accomadate such a lonnnnnnnnng post. :eek: LOL.

I had the same thing happen whereby no oil was getting to the valves on first start-up after my 2.8 rebuild. My mechanic immediately shut her down and began trying to figure out what was happening. Jose wrote me discribing how machine shops AND others do not install a certain part/gear backwards resulting in this no oil to the top of engine condition.

Dennis

What part/gear is this? I bought a remanufactured 2.8 long block, and I think I should make sure things have been assembled correctly.

Thanks,

Joel

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
What part/gear is this? I bought a remanufactured 2.8 long block, and I think I should make sure things have been assembled correctly.

Thanks,

Joel
Hi Joel,

Have you gotten your engine running yet? If you have, and it is oiling up to the rockers, your cam bearings have been installed correctly.

Jose :)

jzuk7

Donation Time
Hi Joel,

Have you gotten your engine running yet? If you have, and it is oiling up to the rockers, your cam bearings have been installed correctly.

Jose :)

The engine is not yet running. I have used an electric drill connected to the oil pump drive shaft. Oil did come up through the rockers. So, I assume my engine does not have that problem.

thanks,

Joel

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The engine is not yet running. I have used an electric drill connected to the oil pump drive shaft. Oil did come up through the rockers. So, I assume my engine does not have that problem.

thanks,

Joel
You assume correctly. When it oils upstairs, the hole in the cam bearing is aligned with the hole in the block.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
The one inch clutch master cylinder has me scratching my head. I am using the Wilwood pull slave with a 5/8 MC and it travels plenty far.

britbeam

Donation Time
Great story Mark. I wont forget when you called this past weekend I could hear the excitement . I drove mine yesterday.

Now if we want to post our stories of V6 Alpine nature where should we post longer messages? I think where Mark posted is fine but is there a place we can put special stories such as this one where they will live on even if we change web-site etc.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Great story Mark. I wont forget when you called this past weekend I could hear the excitement . I drove mine yesterday.

Now if we want to post our stories of V6 Alpine nature where should we post longer messages? I think where Mark posted is fine but is there a place we can put special stories such as this one where they will live on even if we change web-site etc.
Dwain V6 Krazy
Hi Dwain,

A lot of us are sending Andrew Masse pictures and stories about our Alpines and our experiences we have had with them, so you might want to contact him and submit something to him. Your Alpine would make a real interesting story and pictures of it even better. Just think. You might have him put your Alpine in a centerfold.

Jose

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Jim! The Wilwood master I bought only had 1 inch of travel, and since it was a smaller bore than the slave the travel on the slave ended up being less than an inch, which wasn't enough to get the clutch to disengage completely.

Hi Dennis! The Canadian and American inches are the same size. It's only the male and female inches that are drastically different! :D

Thanks Dwain! I actually drove the car with the top down yesterday. It was only 50 degrees but sunny enough the make it bearable.

Hi Jose! I actually sent a message to Andrew a few days ago about using my post as a start to an article for The Marque.