• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

a few questions regarding a series 4

moonracer

Donation Time
I picked up a series 4 Alpine a month ago for parts/mabey sell. I noticed when I got it home the tach said positive earth. The battery is hooked up to negitive earth. What kind of damage could this have done?

My second question is, what rear end ratio would this car have from the factory? If I remember correctly at the last invasion somebody said it was a 3.8-1 which is supposed to better than the stock rear for a series 5. I checked the rear and by turning the wheels and watching the pinion this would seem to be close.

This car also came with original wire wheels. Are they worth restoring and putting on my series 5 or are they more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Marty

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Marty, I doubt the wires are much good, but I guess it really depends on the splines, when I got my SV I was thinking the same thing but the $$ to redo them didn't make sense. How are the hubs ? I had to replace them all including new wheels.

Tom j

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The axle ratio is probably 3.89:1. Might also be 4.21. To check for sure, lift up one wheel, mark the drive shaft with chalk or tape, turn the raised wheel exactly 2 rotations. Look at the drive shaft . It will have turned about 4 times. If slightly less than 4 turns, it's a 3.89. Slightly over 4 turns it's a 4.21

If the tach is actually a Pos earth tach and has not been modifiied to Neg earth, it will not work, of course, when connected into a Neg earth system. But most likely the reverse voltage will not have caused damage. There is a 150 Ohm resistor internally that should prevent any damaging current to flow, even if reverse poarity is applied.

Tom

moonracer

Donation Time
Tom J. The splines are in very good shape on all four wheels, but all four wheels will need some spokes replaced, bead blasted and powder coated. I could do the blasting and powder coating myself. I'm not sure what kind of issues I would run into with balance if I replaced the spokes myself. One thing that drives me nuts is a shaking front end on a car.

Tom H. Will the rear ends direct fit over between the series 4 and 5? You are correct the only guages working now are the oil pressure and water temp. Good to know there was some kind of protection built in.

I think this car will end up being a parts car for my 67. It has the brake booster that my car is missing and a NEW windshield and seals along with a box of other door and window seals. The car doesn't look too bad for rust untill you put it on the hoist. We put the hoist leg under the frame and it crushed it along with the door gaps growing by about a 1/2 inch when it was in the air