• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A couple of SV quickies.

Britboy

Donation Time
1. Did every 1967 Alpine originally come with an ashtray? I've encountered two that do not have one.
2. What is the maximum pressure the proper original oil gauge shows on this same car?
Thanks

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Re #2, the highest an SV gauge will read is 80 lbs/sq in.

I think all the gauges are set so that if the needle is vertical, all is OK,

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Series alpines from I-V across all models GT,st and auto cars had an ashtray standard on the tunnel. Tigers used a different one mounted off the central glove box due to shifter location and the change in tunnel design, but again.. also standard. The dash mounted lighters were optional.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
When I restored my car in 1989, I made two mistakes I still regret. One of them was I bought a new shiny chrome ashtray for the car. I can't remember if it was from SS or VB. Probably VB. It matched perfectly and, as indicated, very shiny. So I took off the old, dull original ashtray and - gasp - tossed it. Why save an old dull part when new ones were readily available? Well sadly, the chrome on that shiny ashtray did not last too long before it rusted a bit. Yet, my old original, that had been in the car for 20 years, while dull, was not rusted. On hindsight, I just should have tried to polish it more.

Same thing on the door sill covers. I had dull covers. But the little squares were very distinct and cut lines. Yet, dull. So I got new shiny ones, these from SS. Sadly, again, I tossed the old ones. I didn't really notice how nice those squares were. The new ones were just lightly stamped lines. And the material was light aluminum that has dented easily over the years, whereas the originals were quite beefy. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I might note that I have tried to buy factory originals over the years and have never found any as nice as the ones I had. My car was a very very late SV, like 100 from the end. So it could be that they had a different supplier at that point that they didn't have with the earlier cars.