• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

!962 series II from Rockford Il. 32,504 original miles

69boss

Donation Time
Ok guys, I bought the car that Scott had let us in on from Rockford Illinios. It was delivered by intercity a few hours ago. Story goes a woman passed on last year at 100 years old and left this car that she bought new in August 1961. I was told she used it to go to Lake Michigan beaches on sunny days and it was never out in the rain. Well I got the car and took 95 pictures without even wiping it down or cleaning a thing. The car is nice, real nice and came with a perfect tonneau cover and a new soft top with a clear rear window. I was pleasently surprised by the condition. I would like everyone to check out the pictures and let me know what you think of this find. I plan to get it running and wash it, thats it. Enjoy.
John
http://picasaweb.google.com/69bossdieter/1962SunbeamAlpineGarageFind#

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
W O W, even an altimeter. Who'd a thunk it! Very nice car. What is the VIN? Must have been an early car with the hood prop on the scuttle like the Series I. :cool:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
It looks pretty good.
The soft top should be the three window style
You need that flat dust cover for the bellhousing

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice. From the label on the door and the numbers on the odometer, it looks like it needs an oil change:

Tom

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Oh goody, another unmolested original that can be used for reference purposes if needed. (Hey Oliver, check out the black paint on the oil filter base!).

Congratulations on such a great find, it's heartening to see it adopted by a sympathetic member of the Sunbeam community and not some 20 year old knucklehead...............!

Lance.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Oh goody, another unmolested original that can be used for reference purposes if needed. (Hey Oliver, check out the black paint on the oil filter base!)

Lance.

Lance, have a closer look I think you will find the oil filter base is bare metal. not painted.

alpine_64

Donation Time
From the pics it looks to have the original rubber floor mats front and back.. Can someone take a mould from them? Might be our best chance to get a nice pattern for some original early series rubber mats.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
John,

From what I can see in the pic of the motor (with the plugs removed), it shows the alloy filter base and the retaining bolt heads with the remains of the black paint that covers the rest of the block.

My SIV had overspray on the filter base where it mated the block. No doubt it wasn't completely covered due to the fitting of a spin on filter as opposed to the early cartridge style housing which was painted to match the motor.

Cheers, Lance.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great car!
But I never buy into those "old lady" on Sunday stories. Why does it always have to be an old lady.

P

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
It would be great to have this car brought to the Invasion so everyone could see it up close!

Cheers,

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I almost bought those door handles for my first Alpine back in '77. How much of the under-dash stuff is factory, how much is dealer, and how much is JCWhitney? I wonder if the side markers were required for inspection at the time.

Ken

69boss

Donation Time
62 series II from Rockford Il.

The owners estate sent me all the paperwork on the car that they could find. As far as the aftermarket parts on the car, I have the "Sunbeam Spares" catalogs that they ordered out of, dating back to the 1983 catalog January, Sun3-Volume 1. The owner had notes inside on the parts he purchased and circled them in the catalogs. There is the owners manual in perfect condition, a Sunbeam Alpine motor manual by the Sunday Times publications written by P. Olyslager, printed in 1963, a clymers Sunbeam Owners Handbook from 1965. I have the original bill of sale from Forest City Imported Cars of Rockford Illinois bought by Grace Hill, therefore the GH 59 license plates. I have the original title to Grace's car signed by the executor of her estate and I even have a picture of Grace and her husband Morry. So it was an "Old Ladys" car for real. The plugs were removed in 1983 and oil put into the cylinders, that is why you see no plugs, they are in the glove compartment. The vin number is B9107173. I also have the original key fobs, (2) and the original 2 sets of keys, along with the original sales brochures on the car from the dealership. they did some customizing from the catalogs but the car is true in everyway. The inspection plate that someone noticed was missing is me, I took it off to have a look, it is here and is a light green color. If someone could let me know how to get a picture of the multi window top that someone mentioned, I would apprerciate it. It came with the top that is on it and another new one wrapped in a piece of thin wood that is new and exactly the same rear one piece window. I am going to try to get this car to the invasion, it is now on Long Island and any member here is welcome to come take a look. I will also post any pictures you ask for, I can get close ups of any part you need. My intention is to get it running and make sure it can stop and go forward, thats it. A little cleaning and such but really just leave it exactly as it is. I feel fortunate to have Grace's car and will honor her by leaving it as she intended. It will spend it's life in a clmate controlled building and go for rides on nice days. Grace bought this car on August 31, 1961 from salesman Dave Heinz and the car is listed on the sales reciept as a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine, Model is Roadster. The price was $2,704.00 with the $104.00 tax, paid cash.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, that is a great find with all that detailed history. It's almost llike you knew the owner and car since day 1.

Regarding the 3 window top, you can see an example on the Victoria British site:
http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sun/full.aspx?Page=9

I don't think this picture is of an Alpine, but it serves the purpose to see the idea.

Furthermore, from what I read on both Sunbeam Specialties site and the VB site, it seems that only the Series I used the 3 window top. Jan is pretty knowledgeable, but maybe he got this wrong. I find nothing in the Series descriptions on this site to confirm either way.

Tom