• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$9 Voltmeter

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I took the ammeter out of my SV a few years ago when the Tom's (Tiger Tom and Tom H) discovered that it was dangerously close to starting a fire. I don't remember what we were diagnosing at the time, but one of the connections was loose and the heat buildup at the connection was very noticeable. I installed an aftermarket voltmeter that did the trick as a stopgap, but it never looked right to me, especially at night when it glowed with a green light that looked very wrong on the dash. While there is no factory correct voltmeter, there is a Triumph gauge that looks about right. It looks just like this one currently on eBay, except everything is oriented in the Alpine fashion. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smiths-Clas...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ed25cb807 Unfortunately, I haven't seen one at a price I was willing to pay in quite a while.

In the meantime, I recently came across this Sunpro gauge on sale at Advance Auto: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sunpro-electrical-volt-meter-cp8215/17122008-P It certainly isn't stock, but it is reasonably close other than the bezel and for $9 was hard to pass up. I removed the black bezel, which took some time as the original one was crimped on all the way around, and replaced it with a stock one from a spare gauge. The lip on the Sunpro gauge is just a little wider than the stock gauge, so it was necessary to slightly grind it down to make the Alpine bezel fit on it. I also had to bend the bezel tabs up and back down to hold it in place, as it wasn't possible to duplicate the factory twist and lock attachment. Finally, the Sunpro gauge has a white inner bezel that also needed to be taken down a bit to fit and I painted it black so that it wouldn't show when all was done.

Here's a shot of the final result. It isn't perfect, but for $9 and a little bit of elbow grease, I'm happy with the outcome and thought I would share it in case anyone else wanted to install one. It will do until I can grab the Triumph gauge I really want.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks nice to me!

Just went back for a second look and took a gander at the numbers..... the numbers appear to be very, very similar to me. # 10 in both

Last edited:

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Looks good. I replaced my ammeter with a Voltmeter out of a Jaguar and replaced the black painted bezel with the chrome one from the original ammeter. Easy-peasy....no alteration involved and works great. Just another way of doing it.