• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$83,500 Alpine on ebay

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
At the end of the day, it's what's left (not much) of a Series II Alpine shell mounted on a pro-street chassis that can't do anything well except (maybe) go like stink from stoplight to stoplight or (more likely) from car show to car show on a trailer. A lot of time, effort and money for a cute one trick pony.

Not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As you may recall a Gent from Atlanta took an abandoned Alger Project a few years ago and removed the SI body from the undercarriage for project he was planning to do as an LS.

He gave me the undercarriage and built a frame to be utilized for the LS engine and tranny. Several years later, about the time of completion he was offered more money than he was willing to let slip by, and sold the project. Seems as if he called it Sabertooth

His Forum handle is: Sabertooth

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Separate question. What is a "dealer" on BAT versus a private owner? This says it was purchased by the "selling dealer" in 2015, then these modifications occurred. So a dealer bought this and did this work to sell it? Seems odd.

And still no video. Maybe the seller is afraid to drive it. I know I would be!

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Lots of comments at the bottom of the listing singing praises of the car. But I don't recognize most of them as actual Alpine/Tiger people (some, but most of those seem to give it little praise). Interesting that it is drawing a different crowd. But will that crowd bring in someone willing to pay top dollar for this - as we've seen it listed on Mecum, eBay, etc.? I presume the reserve is up there.

Also, seller claims drives well and doesn't overheat. The thing looks like it has never been driven. How would he know it truly got driven through traffic on a hot day - or even just on a hot day with a lot of hard driving? Then again, I must admit that it looks like the fan is completely encased on the back side of the radiator. So to the extent it is relying on the air being pulled through, it is doing that. It just needs to run the fan more. I guess the engine can handle the drain! Ha.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Separate question. What is a "dealer" on BAT versus a private owner? This says it was purchased by the "selling dealer" in 2015, then these modifications occurred. So a dealer bought this and did this work to sell it? Seems odd.

I don't think "selling dealer" has anything to do with BAT; it is just part of the sellers description of the vehicle.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow. Sold for $63k. A shame for the seller who clearly was looking for more than $83k. I totally prefer stock or close to stock cars, and don't care for "creative" modifications. And I don't really care for Tigers that have been overly hot rodded with cheap Ford go fast parts. But, I must say, I ended up really liking this car as a different animal. Great work done to it. Those videos were quite something. Part of me would absolutely love to have this car. I'd change the steering wheel, but to be honest, very little else.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If anybody is still after a real "hottie" Alpine, or better to say a well built Alger try that one which is currently for sale over here in Germany. The current owner is a club mate of mine and it is extremely well built for race & street at less money:

Check the details ;-)

P.S. The car originally came from US, previously owned by a NASCAR racer...

Last edited: