• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$83,500 Alpine on ebay

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeow. Somebody spent some serious cash. I was almost impressed until I saw the dashboard... then... YIKES. No, just no.

Oh, and it looks like at least one of the tires is rubbing on the suspension.

1964-sunbeam-alpine

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The dash is a total after thought. Looks like they ran out of money and just wrapped some plywood in red vinyl and stuck a digital cluster behind the wheel.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeow. Somebody spent some serious cash. I was almost impressed until I saw the dashboard... then... YIKES. No, just no. Oh, and it looks like at least one of the tires is rubbing on the suspension.

Kevin,

I think the tire is actually rubbing the body on the inside of the wheel tub - a smoother flattish surface. Works kinda like a noisy, invisible Panhard rod.

The trans shifter seems to be positioned a bit far back.

Just an observation,

alpine_64

Donation Time
The build was documented on a "social" media site... Lots of effort and the guy immediately put it up for sale when done... It also was a feature car at a recent Barrett Jackson auction.. Bid to 50s iirc...

No way they are seeing their money back

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No engine swap "build" is complete until the job has 10,000 miles on it, just to sort things out. A lot of things that are a good idea when constructing do not work when on the road.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The more I see of that dash, the worse it looks.

As the article says, "The interior is spartan but has the requisite three pedals, a white-ball shifter, and a snazzy steering wheel." But, given the price, I think it should dang well have a wee bit more than that.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
THEY COULD HAVE HAD A V6

You mean they could have had a well-balanced, sorted out, tried, tested and true setup with the V6 over cutting apart and inserting an LS3? Yeah, I would have gone for the V6, it keeps everything good and right about the Alpine. The LS3 Pine might be stupid fast but it's a damn brick otherwise. And that dashboard screams why, it's like spending 30k on the body but saying no, I can't afford an extra grand or two to make the bumpers right and ditching them.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was so struck by the God awful dash that I didnt even notice they left the bumpers off. Yes, they got the big motor stuffed in there, but they seem to have half assed a bunch of stuff.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think it's a nice car except the butt ugly dash. It didn't sell for $50,000 at the auction, so what makes him think he can get $83,000?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd love to see video of them driving that beast. It's build strikes me as being incredibly dangerous.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I agree. Those massive tires should keep the rear gripping - until it does not. That is, I think it would have some pretty extreme snap oversteer, and putting power down at any part in a turn is apt to create a turntable.