• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

8.8 LS rear end, 2 x t-5??

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Here's a post from Columbus craigslist I ran across:

disc brake mustang rear end 79-93 and other parts - $1

Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-02-07, 2:32PM EST

i have a disc rear end that will fit a 79-93 mustang it is a 8.8 limited slip from a 88 turbo coupe and is a direct bolt in I also have a 2 world class 5-speeds 250.00 for the rear end 275.00 for the trans out of the car 325.00 for the trans in the car everything in good condition car is still driveable if you want to see anything before it is pulled I am parting out the whole car except for the motor make a offer on anything else. 1-740-297-1716

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 566193742

I'm not sure the transmissions are T-5s, but he says "world class" and I think I've seen them go by that name... Once again, no relation to poster, etc. I put it here because they're not Alpine parts... yet!

Ken in Columbus

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Here's a post from Columbus craigslist I ran across:

disc brake mustang rear end 79-93 and other parts - $1

Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-02-07, 2:32PM EST

i have a disc rear end that will fit a 79-93 mustang it is a 8.8 limited slip from a 88 turbo coupe and is a direct bolt in I also have a 2 world class 5-speeds 250.00 for the rear end 275.00 for the trans out of the car 325.00 for the trans in the car everything in good condition car is still driveable if you want to see anything before it is pulled I am parting out the whole car except for the motor make a offer on anything else. 1-740-297-1716

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 566193742

I'm not sure the transmissions are T-5s, but he says "world class" and I think I've seen them go by that name... Once again, no relation to poster, etc. I put it here because they're not Alpine parts... yet!

Ken in Columbus
If the transmissions really are from a Turbo Coupe, tjey will not have the best ratios for the little V6. First geat is pretty low, with a considerable gap between second and third, They are strong, but, depending on which rear end ratio you have, first gear could be almost like a granny gear.

I have already noted why <i think the 8.8 is not the best choice to use in this application, so will not tire you guys with it all over again.

Jose :)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
first gear could be almost like a granny gear.
Why do you keep saying that and whats wrong with it? Oh, I get it, because its not a close ratio gearing to keep the engine in its best torque band......???? Joe, let these people make up THEIR own mind, right?

My (everyday driver) '92 Achiva SC, HO, 5 speed's 1st gear is used for about the first 20 feet, and that's the last time I use it until the next stop light. No riding the clutch...No problem starting on a hill. Try that with your tall 1st gear!!! My 57 Chevy had a C/R Muncie 2.20 1st gear. I hated that transmission.
Jan

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jose and Jan,
How do you think the ratios that are (probably) in that trans would work in an otherwise-unmodified, 4-cyl Alpine? (Seller says one is an 88 turbo coupe OEM trans, and the other is an 86 turbo coupe OEM trans.) I'm not sure when T5 came into being, so don't know for sure if they're T5 or something else... I'll do some looking later.

Ken

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bill,
Well, that site takes all the fun out of it! Now all I have to do is fix/calibrate the tach so I know the actual RPM's...

Regarding this: "I firmly believe only you know what you want."
Problem is, I don't know what I want...:). I need to research every possible option before I make the wrong choice...

Ken

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Why do you keep saying that and whats wrong with it? Oh, I get it, because its not a close ratio gearing to keep the engine in its best torque band......???? Joe, let these people make up THEIR own mind, right?

My (everyday driver) '92 Achiva SC, HO, 5 speed's 1st gear is used for about the first 20 feet, and that's the last time I use it until the next stop light. No riding the clutch...No problem starting on a hill. Try that with your tall 1st gear!!! My 57 Chevy had a C/R Muncie 2.20 1st gear. I hated that transmission.
Jan
Jan,

I am only letting the guys know what works best, not forcing them to do anything. I only suggest things, not dictate anything. I used to recommend this transmission, till I found out it wasn´t ideal. All you have to do is ask the guys that have one in their car. They will tell you that first gear is pretty low. If you are going to pay the same price for the four cylinder transmission, as you are for the 3.8 V6 transmission, why nit get the best suited one?

Everyone is free to put ehatever they want into their Alpine, I jusr want the new guys to not get something that isn`t quite right, when for the same money they can get the best.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose and Jan,
How do you think the ratios that are (probably) in that trans would work in an otherwise-unmodified, 4-cyl Alpine? (Seller says one is an 88 turbo coupe OEM trans, and the other is an 86 turbo coupe OEM trans.) I'm not sure when T5 came into being, so don't know for sure if they're T5 or something else... I'll do some looking later.

Ken
Hi Ken,

I think it would be a bit overkill, but would work. The Turbo Coupe had a four cylinder engine that was a bit low on torque on the bottom end. <it made plenty of power when the turbo got spooled up, but needed the low first gear to get it moving off the line. It is a heavy car, and neded help getting it to move smartly fron stand still. Since the Alpine four is also a bit low on torque, it would love this transmission, especially the fifth gear, which is only about 18% overdriven. Would let the engine work in it`s power band.

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
Well, that site takes all the fun out of it! Now all I have to do is fix/calibrate the tach so I know the actual RPM's...

Regarding this: "I firmly believe only you know what you want."
Problem is, I don't know what I want...:). I need to research every possible option before I make the wrong choice...

Ken

I totally agree. It is very important to know why you made the wrong choice.

Bill

Jim E

Donation Time
You need to really think about the whole set up when picking which version of the T5 to buy. A lot depends on the rear gear you will run, with a stock Alpine rear end gear 3.89 the 5.0 T5 OD puts you out of the power curve at freeway speeds but is fine in the first four gears, For guys running an eight inch ford rear end with the 3.55 gear it would be worse. With either of these two rear end ratios the 4 cylinder T5 might be a good pick, the lower first giving good stop light to stop light speed and the OD keeping you up on the muscle on the freeway.

When I was running the 3.89 gear and a 5.0 T5 Dwain with his turbo 4 T5 and I think 3.89 gear could run off and leave me at will on the freeway and I know I have more motor than he does. All the difference was in the OD ratios.

So the four banger T5 with it's 4.00 first gear and .8something OD and a 3.55 or maybe a 3.89 could be ok. Toss in you should be able to buy one for 75 bucks and it not be busted could make this trans the pick for a bucks down build. Still I think the stump puller first gear would be a pain in the behind.

Now the 5.0 T5....due to the OD ratio you would need a 4.10 or better rear gear add to the mix the cost of these units and the fact that if it is used and not in a car chances are high it is busted and it requires a $150 pilot bearing adaptor. I totally discount the 5.0 T5 as a trans for the conversion. If you have one fine but I would not hunt for one or consider one unless I owned one and it was in my car and shifted fine other wise if I had one I would sell it, which leads us to the last pick.

3.8 T5 or in my opinion the first pick. This trans can be had for reasonable money say $300 or a little less and you can feel safe running a used one plus all you need to do is turn down the pilot bearing spud to run a stock V6 pilot bearing. The first four gears are pretty much the same as the 5.0 T5 but the OD is between the 5.0 T5 and the 4 banger T5. When I went to the 3.8 T5 and a 4.22 gear from a 5.0 T5 and 3.89 gear my car got better gas mileage at freeway speed [25.6 from around 22] and the stop light to stop light is great with the 4.22 gear.

Just my thoughts on the thing.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now a look at the situation with a 1725.

The Series IV, and I suppose Series V, came with a 3.35 first gear, which combined with the 4.22 rear, gives an overall ratio of 14.07. If you were to run a 3.89, a 3.62 first would give the same overall ratio. Close as you can come to this is 3.5 in the SVO box, so it would be a tad taller. 5th would be the same as the Alpine OD, some of the Ohio guys say the 3.70 rear combined with OD is a great cruising combo, so the SVO would be a very doable box. Problem is the SVO is a high performance setup and the trannys are likely beat to death, same as the V8 boxes.

A fellow could look into swapping SVO low gears, which can probably be purchased new, into the standard 3.97 box. These transmissions have extensive parts interchangeability, but I don't know if this swap would be possible without changing other ratios.

Something to look into if your serious about swapping transmissions.

Another possibility is the GM T5. Some of the ratios used in the pickups look very good when combined with the 1725. If anyone is interested, I think I can find them somewhere in my wife's computer.

Bill