• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

6700 mile trip planned

Robbo

Donation Time
I have similar symptoms in a reguarly warm climate of Utah in the summer. I find that the Weber can have two things that contribute - first, it seems that sometimes after a long hot run, the bowl does not retain a full level after letting it sit or a quick shut down. This requires me to let the electric pump prime the bowl before I start it up immediately. The second is sometimes a little spec of "crud" will impede (sometimes intermittently) the accelerator pump in the carb meaning it does not shoot the initial fuel that fires her right up normally. Just a few thoughts from a warm, dry, high altitude climate :) Tom, I hope you and Bob are having a terrific time! Melissa and I still remember back to our dinner at Olive Garden when you passed through Utah! Give our best to Bob for sure and safe travels.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Apparently it was just getting too rich. I told Bob to not step on the accelerator more than once before starting. Have not had any problems since.

Thanks Rob for the kind thoughts from you and Melissa. We just got back from dinner in downtown SF. Driving up and down a couple steep hills again and again looking for a place to park! I think if I drove in the city for a couple weeks I would need a new clutch. Sheesh!

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update: Made it to So CA. Visited with Kelly Mathis this evening. He helped us with some minor repairs. Had to jerry rig a switch to bypass the OD relay which failed. I'll install one of my OD relay kits later- shoulda brought one with me! DUH! Also had to super glue my horn ring back together. Made a good fix afew years ago using JB Weld with some bent nails embedded. Was fine until today the JB Weld lost contact with the metal on the ring. The JB Weld is still solid so we used thin super glue to reattache the metal to the JB. We'll see how well that holds.

Thanks Kelly. Your help almost makes up for the disappointment of not getting to ride in that V6 Alpine.

And group I gotta say that is one beautiful Alpine - aside from the headless V6!

Pictures later. Off to Las Vegas in the AM

Paul, I still hope to make it to visit. I'll call.

Tom

kmathis

Donation Time
They were here, and have the pictures to prove it.:D

Thanks, for coming by, you guys; it was great to put a face behind the name. Good luck on the next leg of you historical trip.:)

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
UPdate:

Kelly, thanks for the help. The OD switch taped to my shift is working fine.

Thanks for posting the pics. For those interested in the photo with 3, that's Kelly on the left, me in the middle, and Bob on the right.

Made it across the Mohave to Las Vegas OK. Boy that's a hot drive!

Made it to the Grand Canyon on Friday. Clutch is acting up. Just like it did 2 years ago, but I have rebuilt both slave and master since then. Clutch works OK sometimes, but next time I step on it, it goes to the floor with no resistance, and of course, no clutch action. If I pump it 6-8 times, it comes back. But will sometimes lose pressure even as I am holding my foot down. Sounds like a bad seal on the plunger. Not sure which is most likely. Will probably try to repair the master first. easier than crawling under the car. Not sure I have a pair of kits. May need to order from SS

Sent from McD's in Kayenta, AZ

Tom

Last edited:

Stick

Donation Time
Some trouble is to be expected, glad to see it is nothing major so far! Keep us posted and have fun!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update, as noted in seperate post we have made it to Frisco CO. We fixed the clutch master and all is fine. We stayed in Gunnison CO last nite and drove over snow covered Monarch Pass today.

Much thanks to Rich Vose for the clutch kit.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update, Made it from the Colorado mountains to Kansas City today. About an 11 hour drive. No problems. Stopped and Visited briefly with Paul Scofield here in KC. His SIII GT looks great. Pics to follow in a day or so.

Tom

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great to meet you in person Tom. I really admire your quest. People dream and talk.....you do it! Post those pictures! ;)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Update, Made it from the Colorado mountains to Kansas City today. About an 11 hour drive. No problems. Stopped and Visited briefly with Paul Scofield here in KC. His SIII GT looks great. Pics to follow in a day or so.

Tom

Hi Tom. The trip sounds great. I am envious. When are you coming through St. Louis?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I plan to leave Leavenworth, KS around 10 AM. Should put me near you around 2PM +/-

Tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tomorrow? I hope not, because I ain't there yet. I don't get back until tomorrow evening. :(

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let's try that again. That's Paul's shiny Alpine on the left and the tall guy is Paul.

Tom

Attachments

• Paul Scofield and Tom .jpg
    Paul Scofield and Tom .jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Paul Scofield Alpine.jpg
    Paul Scofield Alpine.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 43

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The Tom Hayden One Lap of America World Tour came through St. Louis this afternoon, and fixed my OD during his brief stopover. It hasn't worked since I rewired the car, which made no sense since all I had done relative to the OD was change the hot wire. A few minutes with my multimeter and Tom diagnosed the problem as a failed relay. Fortunately, I had a spare Tom H kit-modified 6RA in stock and all was well within just a few minutes of Tom's arrival. Since there is no reason the rewiring could have caused the relay to fail, it just had to be one of those poop happens coincidences. Just like Tom's visit was one of those glorious coincidences!

Thanks Tom! It was great seeing you, even if only for a short visit.