• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Alpine rebuild with Miata 1.6

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So i spent the day test fitting the roll bar with the top frame on the car and i'm happy it fits :)

The accelerator bracket is completed and the passenger brace fits with the Miata engine

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So it's been a while since I've given a update in the progress so here we go.

1. Brakes are complete all four corners rebuilt and rotor and drums turned
2. She is alive and i've driven it around the block (first time since 1999 its moved under its own power)
3. Numerous parts sent to the rechromer (Speed Sport Chrome in Houston)
4. I now have working blinklers,running lights,brake lights,and headlights running on the miata harness
5. Some interior has been installed (went with Tan from rootes.com

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
LOOKING GREAT.
The Mazda motor is great, I have put over 100 miles on mine. You are going to love driving on the freeway 72 mph at 3200 rpm :D

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So Fathers day weekend the Alpine made it's first trip around the block all on its own.

Items i got resolved this weekend

1. Factory blinker stock modded to the Miata harness
2. Windsheild wiper harness built ( i think the wiper motor is bad)
3. Lights :) the car now has high and low beam working with the dash switch
4. Factory ignition its starting on the original key
5. Make shift exhaust (to keep "other folks happy")
6. Working horn
7. Temp dash installed to clean up wiring

The dash aka work in progress

Next will be interior after seat rails made and tires

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
First off, are you aware the wiper motor is wired "hot" and speed is controlled by two ground wires. Ground one wire for high speed and two for low speed.

Also, I've found that a common problem with bad motors is due to a wire in the motor that was pulled tight across a sharp corner. After many years, the enamel coating on the wire gets cut, causing an internal short. I repaired mine by simply moving the wire a little and a some electrical tape.

Bill

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So it's got new shoes :) and a few shots of the dash. Speed Hut gauges are on order. Oh and i need to stretch the top a tad more and drop the front a bit

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Awesome

Seen a couple of hot rodded Miata Miata's and thought what a fun package. Keep up the good work.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I had a friend of mine make some decals for my fuse box. Not sure of you wired yours the same, but if you did I have an extra I can send you if you want.
RIMG0002-L.jpg

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
Tonyanvil the fusebox label would be great and yes it's 100% of the miata harness in the Alpine.

The wheels are Rota's with 15X7 in the rear running 205/50/15 and 15x6 up front with at 195/50/15

Some pics with the hood on

I have some trim work left up front (paint the radiator area black)

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
PM me with your address, and I will send you a decal. Be careful painting the radiator, painting will change the heat exchange and you may run hot.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
PM me with your address, and I will send you a decal. Be careful painting the radiator, painting will change the heat exchange and you may run hot.

I have no plan to "paint the radiator" just everyting behind the trim to be black like original :p

I will sent a pm in a few

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FWIW, my father always said that to get the most efficient heat transfer, radiators are supposed to be painted black. Seems counter-intuitive by adding a coating. But since he was an engineer, I'm going to go with it.

Also, at least in some of your pictures above, the bottom stainless trim on your windshield appears to be installed incorrectly and pinching the rubber, especially at the driver's side joint. The trim should slide up into a split in the rubber there.

Jay

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Black

Most remember when motorcycle engines went from straight bare or anodized alloy to black paint or finish. I have a Davis in my car and the alloy looks bad in my eye as viewed thru the opening of the grille. Lot's of guys put in bare alloy then 10 years down the road they get less shiny and start to corrode. So clear coat it or paint it black either way it will look better for longer, Or never take a ride by the beach on a big surf day!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jay,

Your dad was right. The color black dissipates heat faster than any other color.

Jose

FWIW, my father always said that to get the most efficient heat transfer, radiators are supposed to be painted black. Seems counter-intuitive by adding a coating. But since he was an engineer, I'm going to go with it.

Also, at least in some of your pictures above, the bottom stainless trim on your windshield appears to be installed incorrectly and pinching the rubber, especially at the driver's side joint. The trim should slide up into a split in the rubber there.

Jay

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
While it is true that black transfers the most heat, paint acts as an insulator. I suggest "painting" it with a black marker. The best of all available worlds.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I haven't been on in a while...too much to explain. I hope to get back on the Beam next week. My 65 Mustang 200 six ran hot after a rebuild so I installed an unpainted aluminum radiator. It works great and will stay ah-naturael. A little French there Bill. Still hoping to get the 2.3 to fit the space available without any serious cutting. The Mustang may need heat-vents due to Texas weather (100+) and the carb over the exhaust. I notice some engine swaps have heat trouble in Sunbeams. With the cross-flow head I hope to avoid any serious heating problems but will stay tuned to this site.