• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Alpine problems

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi steeler fan,

A car with the brake issues you describe, can´t be considered road worthy. Before I took it on many more rides, I would definitely get the brake problem worked out. I would hate to hear you crashed your new baby and maybe hurt yourself.

Jose

I guess I made a mistake in saying the brake pedal went to the floor. What I actually meant is that I've got it pressed in as far as it will possibly go....but it doesn't go to the floor.

On a brighter note, I took her out for a spin today and I love it. She's got some issues, but for now she's roadworthy.

Steelerfan

Donation Time
Ok, with the car off, the brake pedal travels a short distance and then gets rock hard. That's good, right?

I'm going to email the seller to see if he knows the brand of brake fluid. He only had the car for a year, and may have bought it from the guy who restored it. I also need to ask him about oil changes, last done, type and weight of oil, type of oil filter. Are there any other questions I should ask so I can do it all at once?

Can't the brake booster just be swapped out with a new one, or am I looking at a rebuild, or installing a master cylinder from an older model, or installing something that may need a new mount built in?

The seller also recommended converting the engine cooling fan to electrical since it may overheat in stop and go traffic. I guess England doesn't have 100 degree weather, and running off the crankshaft is ok over there. Is this an easy fix?

Lots of questions, but I'm encouraged by the expertise of you guys.

While I'm at it, another issue is a gap between the new soft top and the windows. Driver's side is sort of ok, but the passenger side has anywhere from a 1" gap near the base of the window to 3/4" at the top. Either the soft top is meant for a different model, or it was installed very poorly. Can it be removed and reinstalled correctly, or are we talking another new top. It's not an immediate concern cause I don't intend to drive it on rainy days, but it's something I will address eventually.

Thanks again for taking a newbie under your wing, Diane

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Should I be posting this in another forum?

Technically yes since this particular forum is the "modified" section.

Modified or stock, this posting could be handled in either, though you would get a bit more responses if it had been in the "stock" forum.

In any case no foul, no reason it can not stay here.