• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'66 Alpine SV heater core hoses

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Hello all. I hope y'alls had a safe and happy 4th.
I'm about to install the new heater temp control valve. The hoses now go from the water pump along the right side of the engine into the firewall to the heater core. The other comes out of the heater core throught the firewall directly to the top of the head. It looks as though the hose from the heater core to the head is too short to go onto the valve so I need to change the hose at the heater core.
It looks like I can remove the hood latch mechanism on the rectangular plate and get to the hoses on the heater core...or do I need to get up under the dash? I'm sure many of you have been there and know what's what.
I hate the thought of removing a hose from a 42 year old heater core.
The selector and cable are moving freely now and seem to be OK.
I'm not sure of the blower and switch yet but I can feel heat at all times without the valve in line.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Jim

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
You can access everything you need for the heater core thru the panel under the Bonnet. The old hoses should come off with out to much persuasion.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
When you put it back together make sure that the hood latch cable is put back tight so you do not have the problem of not getting in the engine bay, or put in a hood pull rod:cool:

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Thanks George. I thought about the "getting back in" thing. I'll mark the original position with blue painters tape before removing things. I have material to make a hood release rod so I'll have a look-see.
Jim

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Heater control valve is in and working

I have installed the heater control valve and replaced he hoses. Very easy access to the heater core beneath the hool latch mechanism plate. The control level and cable are working fine. No more hot blast on my legs this summer!
Thanks again to you Guru's.
I've also replaced the windshield washer pump with one from eBay. I found a reservoir "bag" at an Alfa Romeo parts supplier that fits well. $19.10...$26.95 with shipping. I used a "frog catcher" from a spray bottle on the end of the supply hose inside the bag. The frog catcher/ strainer/ filter taken from the pump spray bottle should prevent most crud from entering and fouling the pump.
Jim