• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

63 Series 3 Trunk Lid

rlafey

Donation Time
Hey, I'm looking at buying a 63 Series 3 ST. It is in pretty good shape, however I'm questioning the trunk lid. See photo. It is not fitting very good. It is even on both sides. Could this be a differnt series lid or can the latch be adjusted???
attachment.php

Attachments

• trunk lid.jpg
    trunk lid.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 142

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
It appears from the pic that the lid has suffered impact damage to the lower left corner and not been repaired to the original profile.

rlafey

Donation Time
It is even on both sides and lines up when I push down on the lid. It could have been impacted directly behind, but there is no other evidence of damage to the trunk or frame below.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If it looks OK and the profile is right and you can't see any evidence of damage, it probably either wasn't put back on ,after repaint, correctly or it just simply needs adjusting. You'd be surprised how adjusting these can make a world of difference in not only the way it fits, but operates too.

If you can, post some pictures of it with the trunk open and a full shot of the back of the car to confirm.
Cheers!
Steve

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I bet they tried to close the trunk with something stuck toward the front of the lid, possibly right under the hinges, and this made the lid bend from pushing down on the rear end of the lid.

Carefully bend it back.

Good luck.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
If you are absolutely sure that the lid has not been distorted, I would check to see if a new incorrect seal has been fitted. It should not be made of compressible sponge rubber.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
trunk lid

I have a similar problem w/ my trunk lid and I agree it is secondary to downward closing pressure on the lid, over time. You may be able to see a slight wrinkle in the interior trunk lid support frames just in front of the hinge flange . Whether this is related to too much spring pressure, rusty joints, I don't know. I don't remember if the springs have more than one point of attachment to adjust the tension but it is a good reason to think about gas struts as a good option.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've had this problem with even an NOS lid. Some of the lids need to be bent and tweaked to fit properly. Better done before paint of course. Not sure if this is your specific problem but could be. Did you fit before paint?

rlafey

Donation Time
I've had this problem with even an NOS lid. Some of the lids need to be bent and tweaked to fit properly. Better done before paint of course. Not sure if this is your specific problem but could be. Did you fit before paint?
I went ahead and purchased this car. I plan to repaint to its original color. I will tweak the lid then. Thanks everyone for your responses.

mikephillips

Donation Time
when you repaint, first lay the trunklid in place without the hinges, weatherstrip andbraces bolted on. This will allow you to determine if the sheetmetal needs any bending to match the profile of the fenders. Then do the same with the hinges. be aware that if you use the repro hinges, the threaded mounting holes in them seem to be slightly further apart than with originals which requires elongating the holes in the body and/or trunklid to obtain the same fit. Weatherstripping that's not to original profile can also distort the lid when closed.