• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

62 Hardtop Headliner

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Getting ready to order up parts for my aluminum hardtop ... was wondering 'bout the quality and fit of S.S.'s headliner? .... Think I'm going with white as that's the color of the car.. with red upholstery and black carpet. ... Any opinions before I order it would be great ... The top is a light metallic smoke.

.... David

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got my headliner from SS a few years ago and it has held up well. No issues w/ install. In hindsight I should have bought a white liner.
Critical to insulate well.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the black headliner from Sunbeam Specialties. I had a local upholstery shop install it for me and it looks great. My interior is black so I wanted the headliner to match...

alpine_64

Donation Time
It's a personal preference, but I'd stick with white. The interiors on the car are very dark with a black headliner or soft top, especially with a dark coloured interior.

the feeling inside the car is so much brighter and open with a white headliner on the hardtop, a much more pleasant place to be.

Also before installing the headliner add dynamat or a similar product to the shell, it will make it much quieter and stop vibration noise and sound reverberation.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks guys for your input .. much appreciated. I sprayed a rubberized coating on the inside as the initial sound deadiner then I'll add some insulating mat, it's black and it is kinda' dark inside Michael with the top on, so white's the choice.

.....Have a grand day all! .... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hardtop to Body Seal Staining Question

One issue that has come up before about the top to body seal rubbing or staining the paint. .... Has anyone come up with a fix/solution to this problem. ... A buddy of mine said I should heavily coat the seal with "Talcum Powder" each time I put the top on ... I've seen this done when storing rubber parts for any length of time and it works well to keep moisture at bay, but not sure how it would effect the paint on the car. I don't plan on keeping the hdtp on all the time ... just for those days when it's necessary or for the occasional show.

... Thanks for any input..... David

alpine_64

Donation Time
Inherently the combination of pressure of the top and the vibration and slight movement of the rubber will chaffe the paint where the top sits. You could try cutting to shape some thick clear 3m type body film and running that around where the hardtop sits.

65beam

Donation Time
headliner

SS and others did sell the 3M product already cut to shape for the late tops. it might be worth calling to see if he still has it. I don't think it was ever listed in his catalog.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
DISgusting to have the Hdtop scar the paint.....

Glad to hear of some possibly solutions (3M),

Thanks guys,

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
SS and others did sell the 3M product already cut to shape for the late tops. it might be worth calling to see if he still has it. I don't think it was ever listed in his catalog.

Thanks ?? (65beam) ... I've always liked 3M products, found them to be most reliable products you could find. .. still have some Teflon tape they put out in the late 80's ... I'll ask Rick 'bout it ... ( no names mentioned:D ))

......... David