• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

6 blade cooling fan

mbruskin

Donation Time
has anyone put a 6 bladed fan on their engine? If so, did it help with the cooling? Are there any negatives?

When I am in traffic my water temp goes up, even if it is cool outside. It doesn't get real hot, but I have the fan and will put it on if it will help. I got the fan off of E-bay and looks like a nice piece. I have done all the obvious things, radiator recored, distilled water, new water pump, etc.

Thanks,

Murray

alpine_64

Donation Time
Murray,

A few things..

A. What temp does the car get to?
B. Have you verified the temp gauge is right?
C. What temp thermostat are you running?
D. What series Alpine do you have? Do you have the correct depth/pressure radiator cap?

The alpines will get warmer in traffic, but not to the point of boiling. If the car is loosing fluid then you need to check if anything is wrong. On the SI/II the cars have a low psi system and in traffic have a habbit of letting water out the sperate header tank, a recovery system solves this problem.

Check that everything is correct before gogin to a different fan. Also if you are htinking of changing a fan dont change the engine driven one, ad an electric one to the front that just operates when the car gets warm.

mattinoz

Donation Time
I recently found a nice article on the web that addressed overheating issues with Alpines.
I've had to convert it to plain text to get it uploaded so if the formatting doesn't work for you, PM me and I'll email the PDF.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just so you don't miss Michael's point, the Alpine temp gauges are notorious for giving high readings. Many, many bucks have been spent because the owner believed them. Before you spend another dime, verify the water temperature. Your cooling system should be adequate for the weather you experience in Gurnee.

Any time you move more air through the radiator, you will improve cooling. The question is how, much air does the 6 bladed fan move? Just because it has 6 blades does not mean it will be an improvement.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just so you don't miss Michael's point, the Alpine temp gauges are notorious for giving high readings.

When I rebuilt my engine a few years ago I was convinced it was overheating. Fortunately, I only wasted a couple of hours work before I realized that the problem was with the temperature sensor. I put in a different one and never had a problem again. It pays to check those, too.