• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4-link rear suspension

whoizrob

Donation Time
There is a local guy working on one...

He is a ways out, has the drawings but not ready to build it yet. I am also interested in Robs set up, I think our cars need it. I know Rob spent a lot of time crunching the numbers and that his set up is not really plug and play but I'd love to see more details about it.

Rob

bashby

Donation Time
A friend of mine has one of Bill Guzman's 4-links on his MGB, I am going to get some measurements...

jimfai

Donation Time
CCE parts

had bill guzman's set up on my old mgb, for both front and back. very nice especially for lowering

bashby

Donation Time
I received an email from Bill Guzman and, he states that the 4 link is specific to the MGB since it is a 95% bolt on and uses existing locations on the B. Even the bracket that bolts to the MGB or any other differential is made specific to the MGB spring pad on the axle. The Sunbeam uses a different spring pad. Bottom line is that it would take to modify ever part to make it fit a Sunbeam.
As stated I am going to get some measurements and see if it can be readily adapted.
-Bill

socorob

Donation Time
I think thats what made me decide to do my own. I didn't want to have to pay the full price for something I had to modify every bit of anyways. I think I bought 8 tabs that were about $4 each, 2 formed brackets for about 15 each. 2 heim joints, 2 control arms with bushings for 60, 2 threaded control arms for 5, 2 jonny joints which are overkill, 2 sealsit boots, some metal and coilovers. I drew everything out in plan view on a sheet of Masonite and used that to figure my angles on my cuts.

bashby

Donation Time
Robbie, what you stated is what I will probably end up doing. Going to look at the 'B just to get some ideas.
-Bill

whoizrob

Donation Time
Hey Rob...

The angles are critical for the 4 link to work well. Any chance you would be willing to share the location for the anchor points you chose and angles you ended up getting? Pics would be great. I know you spent a lot of time and effort researching and using suspension software so I don't wish to step on your toes. Thanks!

Rob

socorob

Donation Time
I don't mind sharing, thats what hobbies should be all about. I'll try to dig up anything I can. I don't know if it's as good as it could be, but it is noticeably better than the leaf springs.

socorob

Donation Time
All that guy needs to do was look at the 4x4 guys. They've been doing double triangulated 4 links for decades so they can get feet of free suspension travel. Nothing new there.

socorob

Donation Time
You could also just leave the 1 long leaf in to locate the axle front to back and add coilovers and a panhard bar. Ive seen people do that with other old sport cars.

bashby

Donation Time
I have the QA1 coilovers (200# springs), rod ends and tubes. I am finishing up the CAD drawings for the supports. Once the parts have been laser cut about 4-hours of welding and it should be on the car. Provided of course that my 3X measurements, drawings and fabrication are all correct. I will post photos if I am successful.

socorob

Donation Time
I did mine a while back. Bashby is doing something different. I can't wait to see how he approaches it. There's many ways to skin a cat.

bashby

Donation Time
Have yet to finish the drawings, work is getting in the way... Should have them done this weekend and out for laser cutting. Looks promising, hoping for simple but effective.

bashby

Donation Time
Have the 4-link designed, am going to modify my duals to go under the axle instead of over it as they would fit but it is tight with the coil-overs and 4--link.